Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Want to buy but seeing issues

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 11, 2010 12:31:49 PM

I was wanting to get a ATI 5870 Card but have seen a few threads posting that they are having a lot of problems with them.

If this is the case would it be better to hold off to see what there competitor comes out with than to buy one now and see if it is just driver issues and wait to see if they can fix that.

Other would be to buy and hope it is not a hard ware issue.

More about : buy issues

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 11, 2010 12:35:47 PM

There is the appearance of a lot of issues with the 5800 cards, and it probably is true to a certain extent.

Most high end cards have a 3-10% failure rate and I would think the 5800's are closer to 10% than 3%. Cutting edge technology is always going to have issues.

Dont bother waiting on Fermi, it's an even bigger chip and will have even more issues. It's not really the fault of either ATI or Nvidia, but the manufacturer of the chips TSMC.

If you have a crossfire capable motherboard you might be better off getting two 5770's. I bought a 5850, it was faulty so I RMA'd it and recently ordered two 5770's in it's place.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 11, 2010 12:40:14 PM

gravlin said:
I was wanting to get a ATI 5870 Card but have seen a few threads posting that they are having a lot of problems with them.

If this is the case would it be better to hold off to see what there competitor comes out with than to buy one now and see if it is just driver issues and wait to see if they can fix that.

Other would be to buy and hope it is not a hard ware issue.


LOL. What are you expecting to see on a hardware forum? People saying how good their cards are or people seeing problems and wanting help?
Each generation has it's problems no matter who produces the GPU. I bet 1000$ that when nVidia releases their cards you will have tons of people saying their cards don't work here. That doesn't mean the cards are terrible or they have a high failure rate.
And BTW, 90% of all posts here with problems are caused by people; either they didn't install the drivers correctly, didn't clean the old ones, don't have good PSUs, etc.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 11, 2010 12:57:37 PM

Are there not other problems running cards in crossfire.
And sorry I didn't show specs
I7 920 oc to a tad over 3.8
evga x58 3way sli classified
corsair 750 PSU
6 gig gskill ripjaw
2 ocz 60 gig SSD's in raid ) will be putting back in a no raid array today.
one raptor 300 gig HD
1 WD black 1 terabyte HD
Nivida 285 GTX, was giving to Son, (building him a pc also)
Cooler Master Cosmos case
Dell 24" monitor forget the model but I run it at 1920 X1080
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 11, 2010 1:01:51 PM

gravlin said:
Are there not other problems running cards in crossfire.
And sorry I didn't show specs
I7 920 oc to a tad over 3.8
evga x58 3way sli classified
corsair 750 PSU
6 gig gskill ripjaw
2 ocz 60 gig SSD's in raid ) will be putting back in a no raid array today.
one raptor 300 gig HD
1 WD black 1 terabyte HD
Nivida 285 GTX, was giving to Son, (building him a pc also)
Cooler Master Cosmos case
Dell 24" monitor forget the model but I run it at 1920 X1080


You want to run X-fire with 2 5870? In my opinion that is a little overkill for your resolution. You already have a killer rig and for any game the single 5870 will suffice.
m
0
l
January 11, 2010 1:05:28 PM

No x fire was sugested with two 5770's over the 5870
m
0
l
January 11, 2010 1:07:49 PM

AS in this the fisrt reply said he had issues with one 5870 but was ordering 2 5770 to replace it.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
January 11, 2010 1:12:25 PM

gravlin said:
No x fire was sugested with two 5770's over the 5870


Ooo.. sorry didn't see that. Now when choosing X-fire instead of single cards you have to take into consideration some elements:
- some games do not benefit from X-fire or SLI
- heat issues (not applicable in 5770s case)
- some trouble with drivers(possibility only)
- you lose one PCI-ex slot.

In this particular case the X-fire between 5770s is pretty good and the scalability is almost 90% or more in most games, but in my opinion the 5870 is better for the future and if games come and are more stressful you can always add another one for extra bling :D 
Share
January 11, 2010 1:30:59 PM

Lol yep I don't no if ATI supports 3 way crossfire or not being my MB can hold 3 GPUs it would be nice if they did I could buy a 3rd later on.

If that new tech I forget what it is called that lets you combine
ATI and Nvidia ever gets to were it is stable and works good I will be wanting to buy that lol.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 11, 2010 1:33:43 PM

gravlin said:
Lol yep I don't no if ATI supports 3 way crossfire or not being my MB can hold 3 GPUs it would be nice if they did I could buy a 3rd later on.

If that new tech I forget what it is called that lets you combine
ATI and Nvidia ever gets to were it is stable and works good I will be wanting to buy that lol.


That runs on selected motherboards only and is called Lucid Hydra. And yes, the x58 motherboards support X-fire on the number of PCI-ex slots you have. If you have 4 that means your can 4 way X-fire, but not recommended because of the poor 4 way scaling (basically the 4th card is almost useless).
m
0
l
January 11, 2010 1:43:38 PM

I have 3 slot's for GPUs so it will be a good option later on the 5770 is a good price for a GPU from what I have seen.
m
0
l
!