V551 settings question

griff

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2004

What would be the difference in setting the DTMF setting to long or short?

Is there a benefit using one over the other?

Thank you for any replies.

Jer

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2004

griff wrote:

> What would be the difference in setting the DTMF setting to long or short?
>
> Is there a benefit using one over the other?
>
> Thank you for any replies.

I've not known that setting to have any impact on the actual length of
tones generated. Why that setting even exists is beyond me.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Jer wrote:
> griff wrote:
>> What would be the difference in setting the DTMF setting to long or short?
>>
>> Is there a benefit using one over the other?
>
> I've not known that setting to have any impact on the actual length of
> tones generated. Why that setting even exists is beyond me.

A few things in my calling pattern -- my own answering machine, my
friend's pager -- require long tones.

Is there any advantage to using short tones?

Jer

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2004

clifto wrote:

> Jer wrote:
>
>>griff wrote:
>>
>>>What would be the difference in setting the DTMF setting to long or short?
>>>
>>>Is there a benefit using one over the other?
>>
>>I've not known that setting to have any impact on the actual length of
>>tones generated. Why that setting even exists is beyond me.
>

> A few things in my calling pattern -- my own answering machine, my
> friend's pager -- require long tones.
>
> Is there any advantage to using short tones?

Not that I'm aware of.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

clifto wrote:
> Jer wrote:
>
>>griff wrote:
>>
>>>What would be the difference in setting the DTMF setting to long or short?
>>>
>>>Is there a benefit using one over the other?
>>
>>I've not known that setting to have any impact on the actual length of
>>tones generated. Why that setting even exists is beyond me.
>

> A few things in my calling pattern -- my own answering machine, my
> friend's pager -- require long tones.
>
> Is there any advantage to using short tones?
There can be disadvantages to both. I have my phone set to short tones.
I found that if I had it set to long tones and the network was
clipping at the time I was dialing in a code or account number, it would
detect the long tone as two digits.

On the flip side if I had it set to short tones, and the network was
clipping, it would not detect digits.

I chose short tones because on average, it works better for me.