Sign in with
Your question
Closed

AMD Fusion: Brazos Gets Previewed: Part 1

Last response: in Reviews comments
November 9, 2010 5:41:42 AM

Looking forward to having one because less than 500 dollars sounds great to me.
November 9, 2010 5:45:56 AM

awesome to see amd get into the netbook centre, finally show the public how badly the atom is clock for clock
Related resources
November 9, 2010 6:02:31 AM

Interesting to see them projecting an increased market in netbooks given all the high profile remarks about Tablets supposedly cannibalizing it.
November 9, 2010 6:07:02 AM

Tablets get us into a whole other portion of the debate, as we need to start also talk about demographics. The short version of the conversation - keep in mind that a cannibalized market doesn't necessarily mean a decrease in the volume. It generally translates into a slow down in growth and a smaller proportional market.

Cheers,
Andrew Ku
TomsHardware.com
November 9, 2010 6:13:56 AM

AMD has and always will kick Intel's ass in the IGP market (excuse the rude but necessary language)

Well, at least that's what i think, probably going to get downed a bit.
November 9, 2010 6:18:08 AM

The more the merrier. My hope is that AMD can leverage this launch into a successful campaign, then bring more competitive desktop solutions to people like me, looking at my Phenom II, then looking at the Intel 32nm core i3 that can meet or beat it... and gets worse from there. If Brazos doesn't do so hot, AMD's gonna need some serious tricks (like a miracle) to bring the heat to Intel. My Phenom II is pretty good stacked against the Core 2 but its almost 2011. Bring the funk AMD! Or let me know if you decide to... well, not. I'm ready for it now.
November 9, 2010 6:33:55 AM

While AMD cannot go straight with intel in big CPU battles he makes little ones like david to bite it's toes to make intel preoccupied until bulldozer arrives.
November 9, 2010 7:28:37 AM

Trust me, I've tried playing dirt2 on a ultra-thin and you get miso soup for graphics. A kind of foggy, blurry slurry; it's not something you really want to be associated with.
November 9, 2010 8:32:50 AM

If the Graphics Core is based on the Evergreen architecture then why not just call it Radeon 5250 and 5310 series? It's just confusing to the consumor standpoint to call a Radeon GPU a 6250 and a 6310 when it's based on the Radeon 5 series. Especially considering there will be no new Radeon 6 series that will come out lower then the 6800 series.
November 9, 2010 9:02:31 AM

Let's see my wishlist in a netbook or equivalent:
* Decent battery life (if needed for plane trips) *possibly??
* Around 15" screen (I like this size, 10" seems too small for me) *possibly??
* Be able to play HD (whether online or off a DVD) *sounds like a good possibly??
* Be able to play most recent games on (even low settings is fine) *possibly??
November 9, 2010 9:05:26 AM

Last post got clipped, but I was hoping also for:

* Decent LCD resolution on 15" of at least 1080p resolutions (16x9 or 1600 x 900) would be better than the 1366 x 768 crap that their pushing out these days. I even like my current 1280 x 800 resolution better than the 1366 x 768 stuff, IMO.
November 9, 2010 9:07:02 AM

* Oh and around the $300-400 price range would seal the deal for me. I might be wishing too much for that, but here's for wishing!!
November 9, 2010 9:27:48 AM

Although on the whole it looks like an extremely good APU that probably will perform far beyond it's immediate Intel competition there's still some design choices that intrigues me.

Primarily, it seems odd to develop a propritary southbridge interface (UMI) when it would have been much more cost and power effective to include a few more gatable PCIe controllers on die instead. And thereby have all non-display/non-memory related off-die communication consolidated into a single standard interface.

That would enable much more cost-effective 3rd party controller chips, like standard PCIe USB chips, standard PCIe legacy i/o chips, standard PCIe SATA controllers, and so on. It would offer much more versatility for OEM design, at an even better price point.

I also seems odd to have a on-die VGA DAC when that could just as easily have been relegated to be produced from a 3rd party HDMI-to-VGA bridge controller. It would have saved some die real-estate as well as not having to directly support a legacy display that is rapidly disappearing.

November 9, 2010 10:12:19 AM

If AMD manages to get solid RAM performance (RAM bus is shared for graphics and CPU) we'll have much more powerful miniITX solutions, which may eventually enable entry-level server roles with fewer (if any) fans.
November 9, 2010 10:29:43 AM

Go AMD Go, there is still along way but you'll get there.
November 9, 2010 11:30:55 AM

The chart makes it sound like discrete graphics are going to slowly fade away, and that the era of cpu+gpu/integrated graphics will be the outcome after a dozen or two years.
I have a feeling nvidia may suffer without branching out to the cpu market as well, as it seems that it's becoming the more dominant.
November 9, 2010 12:53:46 PM

An excellent and absorbing read - thankyou Andrew.

November 9, 2010 1:04:54 PM

Secret leak: AMD fusion brazos to be first released in Q1-2011, big bang on a secret product from market leader on multimedia products. (A fruitful company).
November 9, 2010 2:28:25 PM

saturnusAlthough on the whole it looks like an extremely good APU that probably will perform far beyond it's immediate Intel competition there's still some design choices that intrigues me.Primarily, it seems odd to develop a propritary southbridge interface (UMI) when it would have been much more cost and power effective to include a few more gatable PCIe controllers on die instead. And thereby have all non-display/non-memory related off-die communication consolidated into a single standard interface.That would enable much more cost-effective 3rd party controller chips, like standard PCIe USB chips, standard PCIe legacy i/o chips, standard PCIe SATA controllers, and so on. It would offer much more versatility for OEM design, at an even better price point.I also seems odd to have a on-die VGA DAC when that could just as easily have been relegated to be produced from a 3rd party HDMI-to-VGA bridge controller. It would have saved some die real-estate as well as not having to directly support a legacy display that is rapidly disappearing.

UMI is based on pci-e, or at least that is how it connects to the cpu (which has 8 pci-e lanes)
November 9, 2010 2:56:42 PM

buy stock in AMD?
Anonymous
November 9, 2010 3:59:28 PM

@radiumburn

yes as many as possible so they can have money for R&D
November 9, 2010 6:27:36 PM

Really good article....in these tough economic times, its great news that AMD are trying to push/influence market trends with their new processors.

Come on AMD!!!
November 9, 2010 6:54:40 PM

It is always good to see news of the underdog trying to right its ship!

Can't wait to see the actual line up and numbers from netbook to desktop and compare apple's to ornage's to see who's who!

Nice article thank you
November 9, 2010 7:03:58 PM

qwertymac93 said:
UMI is based on pci-e, or at least that is how it connects to the cpu (which has 8 pci-e lanes)

Isn't it physically only a 4 PCIe lane? Either way, it's still not real PCIe lanes which would have been the most obvious choice because of the better versatility. And from a power management PoW it's very odd because had they been seperate PCIe lanes they could have been shut down individually when not used. As it is now all the PCIe lanes used for the UMI interface has to remain open even if it's not fully used. Very odd decision in my opinion.
November 9, 2010 7:04:48 PM

It will be exciting once benchies from the different parties begin....hurraaayyyy
November 9, 2010 8:36:33 PM

I'm really happy to see more news from AMD but I'm disappointed that there was no mention of a Bulldozer CPU launch for January. Will be buying a desktop then and Intel's i5 2500 looks pretty good right now but I wasn't wanting to go with an Intel build :( 
November 9, 2010 9:16:56 PM

saturnusIsn't it physically only a 4 PCIe lane? Either way, it's still not real PCIe lanes which would have been the most obvious choice because of the better versatility. And from a power management PoW it's very odd because had they been seperate PCIe lanes they could have been shut down individually when not used. As it is now all the PCIe lanes used for the UMI interface has to remain open even if it's not fully used. Very odd decision in my opinion.

shutting down lanes like that would likely impact performance a whole lot considering everything from sata to usb would be run off of those lanes. the amount of power saved would not be worth the cost of implementing said tech.
the cpu has 8pci-e lanes, 4 are used for umi, the other 4 for external graphics.
November 9, 2010 10:18:06 PM

Dorado better compare with the i5 750 fur realz. I want myself a cheaper i5 with unlocked multi.
November 9, 2010 10:30:04 PM

I was waiting to get a netbook and holding off on the current lineup.
I'll wait until some of these new AMD based netbooks come out.
Looking forward to any benchmarks on these and would love it if they could do gaming with some older titles (like Postal 2 etc).
November 10, 2010 12:28:10 AM

let's see how amd handles this with intel when the apu gets released
November 10, 2010 2:11:32 AM

What a waste of time and money. AMD should release decent CPU, not some half ass CPU/GPU solution.
November 10, 2010 3:22:32 PM

When I heard that Zecate can run DIRT 2 at low settings, I was impressed. I dearly hope that AMD will have the answer to Atom with this.
November 10, 2010 10:05:59 PM

AMD already has an answer, the AII/TII Neo who absolutely destroys Atoms. Ontario/Zacate brings the same with with better gpu, longer battery life and lower prices.

Atom is just crap, and it will be crap forever.
Anonymous
November 11, 2010 5:12:29 AM

long live out of order.
November 11, 2010 5:50:00 PM

Here's my 2 cents worth. AMD looks promising when it pitted up with intel atoms. Looking at some of the other slides on the upcoming fusion architecture, having 2cores sharing an fpu/sse units is like intels hyper-threading technology; but for fpu/sse units instead of as a whole. Sure its more efficient to share the units. But since more & more programs are becoming more threaded for multi-core setups in the first place. I would predict a slow down as a whole when there's 2 256-bit AVX instructions to be processed or even worst 4 128-bit instructions. It all equals a slow down as a whole which means more money & time wasted. Time=money in most cases if not all cases.

The only solution to this problem is. if programs developers start developing for GPGPU applications solutions and offloading the cpu as a whole, than maybe AMD will be performance competitive once again.

If not die a slow painful death AMD & R.I.P. Long live Intel "The chip giant".
November 15, 2010 6:55:39 PM

I was right with the avx slow down with amd's upcoming proc. According to anandtech.com, quote "Compared to an 8-core Bulldozer a 4-core Sandy Bridge has twice the 256-bit AVX throughput."
Which means i was right about the possible slowdown. Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!
here's the address to the page.
"http://www.anandtech.com/show/3922/intels-sandy-bridge-..."

Dang i'm good
November 16, 2010 6:44:20 PM

"Or say you're running your display from the on-die graphics, and only spinning up the discrete card when a 3D application needs it. There might be power-oriented benefits there."

Nvidia's Optimus tech already does this with Intel's mobile i3 and i5 platforms. However it would be great to see this technology migrate to the desktop space, and desktop APU's offer the opportunity to do this.

Not sure it would make as significant a difference in desktops though, as modern discrete graphics cards, even high end derivatives can offer very reasonable power usage at idle, ~30W. So how much less could one of these integrated GPU's consume at idle? Well... it's guaranteed to be less than a 30W difference.
November 23, 2010 3:21:16 AM

Very interesting... This may be the final step that convinces me to get a netbook, which is quite an achievement, considering I already have a miniITX i7-860 system for high performance/size, and an Android phone for ultra-portable computing (obviously, nothing too extreme there).
December 8, 2010 11:31:56 AM

Great job AMD. I hope the OEMs and people will change their attitudes towards AMD, implanted on many by Intel.

I remember a time browsing at a B&M store, and the salesperson recommended that a family go for the Intel laptop because "AMD produces a lot of heat and can overheat the laptop". I thought of intervening but decided against it.
April 22, 2011 11:54:21 AM

I just pre-ordered my first AMD APU :D  Acer Iconia Tab w500, now it's only a matter of waiting :( 
June 21, 2011 6:53:30 AM

can this thing run AutoCAD?
!