dropped laptop

Oh my gosh! i dropped my daughters brand new lap top off my lap about
1-2 feet high and the color is so screwed up. Any suggestions. I am
under warrenty but is it usually covered?? Jean

==============
More about dropped laptop

    jternes32 wrote:

    > Oh my gosh! i dropped my daughters brand new lap top off my lap about
    > 1-2 feet high and the color is so screwed up. Any suggestions. I am
    > under warrenty but is it usually covered?? Jean

    Ah, how times have changed. It used to be kids breaking their parents'
    possessions, now it's the other way around! <g>

    Usually, dropping a laptop is considered "abuse," and won't be covered
    by the manufacturer. However, you'll have to check *your* warranty to
    see exactly what is/not covered.

    Sorry.

    Notan

    > jternes32 wrote:
    > >
    > > Oh my gosh! i dropped my daughters brand new lap top off my lap about
    > > 1-2 feet high and the color is so screwed up. Any suggestions. I am
    > > under warrenty but is it usually covered?? Jean
    >
    > Ah, how times have changed. It used to be kids breaking their parents'
    > possessions, now it's the other way around! <g>
    >
    > Usually, dropping a laptop is considered "abuse," and won't be covered
    > by the manufacturer. However, you'll have to check *your* warranty to
    > see exactly what is/not covered.
    >
    > Sorry.
    >
    > Notan

    Also check your homeowners/renters policy. You may be surprised.

    Dropping a laptop is virtually never covered unless you purchased a
    separate extended warranty that specifically does cover it (most
    extended warranties don't cover it, but a few do, especially the Toshiba
    "Systemguard" warranty).

    If you cracked the screen, which is likely but not certain from your
    description, you are looking at a repair that will cost hundreds of
    dollars, and that can sometimes cost more than the cost of a new laptop.
    The low-end for a screen replacement (parts and labor) is about $300,
    but the high end is up around $1,000. It's also possible that you did
    other damage, either in addition to or (if you are VERY lucky) instead
    of breaking the screen.

    If you buy a Toshiba laptop, I highly recommend buying the Toshbia
    Systemguard warranty. It's $200 to $300 for 3 years of coverage that
    includes "clutz" coverage. You can only buy this direct from Toshiba
    (www.Toshiba.com), and it must be purchased within 30 days of the
    purchase date of the laptop.

    A few other vendors offer similar coverage in some areas (some states
    classify extended warranties as "insurance" and require sellers to be
    licensed as insurance companies and insurance agents so, for example,
    Toshiba doesn't sell extended warranties at all in these few states).

    "jternes32" <JTernes32@comcast-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    | Oh my gosh! i dropped my daughters brand new lap top off my lap about
    | 1-2 feet high and the color is so screwed up. Any suggestions. I am
    | under warrenty but is it usually covered?? Jean

    Through homeowners/renters insurance you should be. However, if there is no
    physical damage and it is just an LCD color problem, just don't tell them it
    was dropped. Warranties do not typically cover damage due to neglect.

Laptops Hardware Newsgroup