Sign in with
Your question
Closed

OCZ agility 3 running slow?

Last response: in Storage
January 10, 2012 1:31:28 AM

I just built my system with an I5-2500k, 8 gb ram, on a gigabyte z68a-d3h-b3 currently I am only using one 60 gb ocz agility 3. My problem is that when I run AS SSD Benchmark I get 198 mb/s write and 71 mb/s read. I have it plugged into ssd3 plug and the BIOS set to AHCI. The funny part is that when i tried to plug it into the SATA2 outlet it gave roughly the same numbers. I dont understand why?
Sucks because the specs from the ocz website(below), I m not even getting half of these numbers on a brand new rig? I was wondering if i need to update firmware? or what is going on here?
60GB Max Performance*

Max Read: up to 525MB/s
Max Write: up to 475MB/s
Random Write 4KB: 50,000 IOPS
Maximum 4K Random Write: 80,000 IOPS

Best solution

a b G Storage
January 10, 2012 1:55:03 AM

that's normal. i had/noticed same issue with my OCZ drives and even called OCZ support about it.
OCZ said the posted numbers are "max", therefore anything under their posted numbers are correct. he also said OCZ uses ATTO for its benchmarks, the problem with ATTO is it uses compressible data streams which SSDs with appropriotely tuned firmware can handle much faster. OCZ knows this and they intentioanlly use these erroneous yet inflated numbers.

AS SSD is correct.
January 10, 2012 2:13:55 PM

I would check to see the firmware version that your drive is running but the key to what your posted specs say is "MAX"

What do you get when plugged into a SATA3 port and not running AHCI?
Score
Related resources
January 12, 2012 4:04:19 AM

thanks Braden I have also run The atto benchmark but didnt know how to interprt the data, I have heard this same thing about OCZ basicallly lieing to us to gt us to buy their products, I believe this is completely wrong, its false advertising, I have conacted Amazon over it.
Score
January 12, 2012 4:06:14 AM

jgutz I get the same numbers when pluggedinto sata3 and sata2 but when i try to switch to IDE Windows goes into aloop trying to start
Score
a b G Storage
January 12, 2012 1:51:32 PM

when ATTO benchmarks sequential read/write speeds it sends a stream of pure zeroes, whereas AS SSD sends random ones and zeroes (which simulate real-world data).
OCZ's firmware is tuned in such a way to benefit from ATTO's stream of zeroes by compressing it.

ATTO is not meant to benchmark SSDs and OCZ knows this, but they use it anyways so they can inflate their speed claims. there's a reason OCZ drives are both the cheapest and "fastest" SSDs available. i fell for it, you fell for it, everyone who's bought an OCZ SSD for its speed has fallen for it.

is it false advertising? technically, probably not. OCZ surely consulted their lawyers before making such claims. if you want to stand up for yourself as someone who feels they got swindled then all you can do is hit them in the pocket book: deter others from purchasing OCZ drives by spread the truth about OCZ drives (like i am here) and don't buy anymore yourself.
Score
January 12, 2012 7:09:48 PM

carlos1984 said:
I just built my system with an I5-2500k, 8 gb ram, on a gigabyte z68a-d3h-b3 currently I am only using one 60 gb ocz agility 3. My problem is that when I run AS SSD Benchmark I get 198 mb/s write and 71 mb/s read. I have it plugged into ssd3 plug and the BIOS set to AHCI. The funny part is that when i tried to plug it into the SATA2 outlet it gave roughly the same numbers. I dont understand why?
Sucks because the specs from the ocz website(below), I m not even getting half of these numbers on a brand new rig? I was wondering if i need to update firmware? or what is going on here?
60GB Max Performance*

Max Read: up to 525MB/s
Max Write: up to 475MB/s
Random Write 4KB: 50,000 IOPS
Maximum 4K Random Write: 80,000 IOPS

Well, if you coping on a USB Flash Drive {Type Depends} or a HHD low power, then your coping speed not going to be great.
Score
January 12, 2012 11:31:30 PM

dude what? I dont understand
Score
a c 523 G Storage
January 13, 2012 5:22:24 AM

ATTO benchmark software uses highly compressible data to test Read/Write speed.
AS-SSD (and CrystalDiskMark) benchmark software uses highly incompressible data to test Read/Write speed.

With regards to SandForce based drives (OCZ, Corsair, Kinston, A-Data etc.) ATTO is "best-case scenario" and AS-SSD is "worst-case scenario".

SandForce based drives use what they call "on-the-fly" data compression.
The more a block of data can be compressed, the faster it can be read and written.

For example, if you have a 100MB block of data and the SandForce firmware can compress it 75% then only 25MB of data is actually written to the NAND chips on the SSD even though the O/S (Windows, Linux, etc.) sees the whole 100MB. If the block of data cannot be compressed then the whole 100MB has to be written to the NAND chips on the SSD.

And of course you can read and write 25MB faster than you can 100MB.
So that’s where the higher advertised speeds from SandForce based drives come from.

Another slight benefit is drive longevity, since the actual amount of data written to the NAND chips is less than what the O/S sees.

You should have went directly to OCZ’s website for the spec sheet of your drive before you bought it. Advertised AS-SSD speeds are "up to" 180 MB/s Read and 65 MB/s Write.

Your drive is performing at 110% of advertised reads and 109% of advertised writes.

Unless you’re a full-time DJ or Video Editor who deal only with incompressible files you should not feel bad about your drive performance. :) 

Here’s the link for the spec sheet of your drive:
http://www.ocztechnology.com/res/manuals/OCZ_Agility3_P...
Score
January 22, 2012 11:18:05 PM

Best answer selected by carlos1984.
Score
January 23, 2012 8:21:44 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!