seogoat

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Went in Tesco, looked at some laptops. Guy says the laptop next to him was fastest because it was the only one with a dual core processor. I said "hold on, this one over here has a core 2 duo". He says "oh but that's not dual core, it's just a brand name". What do you make of this? Was it Doublespeak?

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Core 2 duo is a dual core CPU. I'm not sure the guy you were talking to knew what he was saying.

You can have dual core CPUs from AMD, but they wouldn't be Core 2 Duo - that's Intel only.

Intel did have dual-core (you can get Pentium Dual core still), but they are not quite as fast and have a slightly different architecture.

I don't think that guy knew what he was talking about.

sounds about right, and its that kind of stuff that makes me angry at them
and the worst part is that i know people who are good with computers not get hired (for either sales or whatever their fixing thing is named)

the worst part is that people know the intel name, so they hear intel for graphics and they think it is good....until they try to run a game

i have read that before, i have been tempted to go in and ask about it like they did

also i would like to say, bestbuy does have an online price matcher (at least in Rochester and Orchard Park, NY), so if you need something now, look it up at newegg (or else-ware) and go to the customer service desk and tell them where the lower price is

seogoat

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
i know people who are good with computers not get hired

They want a puppet and someone who is good at BS. I think the best option is working for yourself.

Cheers for your responses everyone, I thought there was something incorrect with what he was saying. I didn't argue with him though. He seemed so confident. I'm pretty sure it was an amd dual core, Heron, you were spot on.

you know, i have been kicked out of bestbuy on a few occasions for correcting sales people

i hate how they make it up to sell a product

Ahaha they need correcting!