Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Which choice would be better ?

Last response: in Storage
January 10, 2012 2:52:40 AM

Hello,

I'm upgrading my sata I hardrive for my new computer but I've got a coupleof question :

- I though of a 2 drive configuration :
- SSD for boot and OS
- HDD for programs and immediate storage

The SSD would be the Corsair Nova II Series 60GB but for the Harddrive I don't know between, WD Velociraptor 600GB or Caviar Black 640GB

The case is a Corsair 800D and thoses drives would be in the Hot-Swap bays, should the Velociraptor shake to much ? Should it overheat, even with the fan directly on it ? Should I just need a drive for the Boot, OS and immediate storage ?

Thanks in advance

PS: Sorry for my english, second language. :??: 

More about : choice

January 10, 2012 3:11:58 AM

What is your other option? You could use an SSD for a cache drive so you don't have to manually move stuff over.
Score
January 10, 2012 3:23:06 AM

Well all the options are there, a ssd and a hard drive, only a hard drive, and which hard drive.

And sorry, but what is a cache drive ?:S
Score
Related resources
January 11, 2012 12:52:16 AM

Also, I have an actual drive (500GB) which I would keep, for my backup. For the size, I only use 150GB for OS, Documents and Programs, so 600 would be too much.
Is SSD for boot is necessary ?
What does cache memory means on a hard drive ?
64MB ? 32 MB ?
Score
January 11, 2012 12:55:22 AM

You could use an SSD for a cache drive so you don't have to manually move stuff over.
Score
a b G Storage
January 11, 2012 1:25:30 AM

I have a 600GB velociraptor in a Corsair 600t case and heat, noise or vibration have never been a problem. It boots the computer in about 45 secs and program load time are very good.
Score

Best solution

January 18, 2012 11:43:52 PM

Basically takes your most commonly used programs and saves them to cache so they load quicker rather than having to find it in the hard drive.
January 19, 2012 12:09:14 AM

:)  Hi Leonard, You seemed knowledgeable so I hoped you might be able to answer a question. I'm also looking to upgrade hdd, but laptop. faster/more space. have samsung sf310, 13", 2.66-293gh.z, 4gb ram, 300gb hdd: 5400rpm(should be 3gb/s "transfer rate", 7mmH/9.5mmH (2.5")SATA HDD/SDD. shouldn't a compatable hdd/ssd, but with a higher transfer rate, ie 6gb/s still work, ie can't my laptop take advantage of this faster transfer rate? I was under the impression that my laptop would be fully compatable with a 6gb/s transfer hdd/ssd, like the (Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 32 MB Cache 2.5 Inch Solid State Hybrid Drive ST750LX003.)

Leonard Gill Menard said:
Hello,

I'm upgrading my sata I hardrive for my new computer but I've got a coupleof question :

- I though of a 2 drive configuration :
- SSD for boot and OS
- HDD for programs and immediate storage

The SSD would be the Corsair Nova II Series 60GB but for the Harddrive I don't know between, WD Velociraptor 600GB or Caviar Black 640GB

The case is a Corsair 800D and thoses drives would be in the Hot-Swap bays, should the Velociraptor shake to much ? Should it overheat, even with the fan directly on it ? Should I just need a drive for the Boot, OS and immediate storage ?

Thanks in advance

PS: Sorry for my english, second language. :??: 

Score
January 19, 2012 1:09:14 AM

Hi :D 
Well first question, are you sure if you have a SATA revision 3.0 (Sata 6GB/s) inside of you laptop ? Not juste an eSATA port (External SATA) on the side of your laptop. Secondly, if not, it's maybe not really worth the price of a SATA3 Hdd but still, normally it has a smaller seek time, still better read/write speeds and more space(now the minimum space is bigger than before) And if you get a good drive, mabe you will be able to put it inside of an enclosure when you'll change for a laptop, (I suggest for all your old drives)

Since I'm not a professionnal, and I don't know what the heck is a Solid State ?HYBRID? Drive I don't think I'm the best choice for information :S

Sorry for my english, second language :p 

bleu5 said:
:)  Hi Leonard, You seemed knowledgeable so I hoped you might be able to answer a question. I'm also looking to upgrade hdd, but laptop. faster/more space. have samsung sf310, 13", 2.66-293gh.z, 4gb ram, 300gb hdd: 5400rpm(should be 3gb/s "transfer rate", 7mmH/9.5mmH (2.5")SATA HDD/SDD. shouldn't a compatable hdd/ssd, but with a higher transfer rate, ie 6gb/s still work, ie can't my laptop take advantage of this faster transfer rate? I was under the impression that my laptop would be fully compatable with a 6gb/s transfer hdd/ssd, like the (Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 32 MB Cache 2.5 Inch Solid State Hybrid Drive ST750LX003.)

Score
January 25, 2012 11:23:22 PM

Best answer selected by Leonard Gill Menard.
Score
January 26, 2012 11:33:33 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!