Sign in with
Your question

FinallyRadeon HD 5830, 5890,GeForce GTS 350, 360 and 380 are coming

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
January 11, 2010 4:10:09 PM

Quote:
yeah lol finally. Ill go grab an HD 5890 in a year or so.

Implying you don't want one at the prices they will command or that you don't believe they will be out for another year?? (They will be out by the summer, probably some time in the early spring.. quarter 2 at any rate..)

As for using a cooler as a card is coming 'source'.. well... It probably goes something like this.

"We are making a heat sink, how far appart will the holes have to be for it to fit?"

"It will be the same as the last generation, we use standard heat sink sizes on things like this."

"Oh ok, well what cards can we say it supports?"

"Just look at any random road map for the next generation, and you can always sell an adaptor later"

"Done and done!"

m
l
January 29, 2010 10:03:15 AM

The biggest news by ATI to IT community is not the new catalyst v10.1 drivers, but a second postponement of 5830 by ATI. The unofficial reason for a 5830 that was initially slated for 25 January is PCB issues :-D.
That is so lame excuse :-D, the 5850 and 5830 are same card, same PCB, cooling, 256bit BUS, DDR5, same GPU just lover clocks of GPU core and memory, the biggest difference is the sticker :-D = 5830 is binned 5850. The 5830 cost AMD same as 5850 so they decided to postpone 5830 as long as possible at this stage for 3-4 weeks to make more money for ATI- AMD and its partners, 5850 earns higher margins for whole ATI distribution channel. 5830 delayed from 25 January to 5th
of February and at this stage around 16th February This is a result of lack of competition, NVIDIA hurry up with FERMI ;-D.

P.S 5830 specs:
Same PCB, cooling and connectivity as 5850, 625 Mhz GPU clock, 800 Mhz DDR5 memory, 1280 shaders, that are the slated specs for 5830 by ATI, when it finally becomes available it will be the best cost - value - performance single video card and crossfire solution ;-D. The difference ratio is the same as between 5870 and 5850 ;-D
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2010 10:05:21 AM

To be continued....
m
l
January 29, 2010 10:15:14 AM

Oh yeah! More ATI 5xxx models to give us grey screen crashes and BSODS!

/s
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2010 10:20:22 AM

CooLWoLF said:
Oh yeah! More ATI 5xxx models to give us grey screen crashes and BSODS!

/s

LOL. From 2 million cards sold, we have at maximum 100 posts in forums all over the Internet, which from all we know could be duplicates. But for the sake of reasoning, lets think that we have 1000 problems like this.

1000.....2 million cards sold => 1/2000 change of crash. That is 0.05% chance. To me it seems that the number is pretty standard for defects in a new generation of cards.
m
l
January 29, 2010 10:33:57 AM

Well, its enough of an issue that Tom's wrote an article on it:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ATI-Radeon-Gray-Screen...

And you can count me as one of those unlucky people with these crashes happening. The most annoying thing is that ATI has acknowledged the issue but thats all. Its in the release notes of the 10.1 Cat drivers.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2010 10:42:05 AM

CooLWoLF said:
Well, its enough of an issue that Tom's wrote an article on it:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ATI-Radeon-Gray-Screen...

And you can count me as one of those unlucky people with these crashes happening. The most annoying thing is that ATI has acknowledged the issue but thats all. Its in the release notes of the 10.1 Cat drivers.

If it acknowledges the problem you should be expecting a fix soon. And sincerely I don't view Tom's as a reliable source of 'good' ATI news, if you get my drift. And as I said in my reply, 0.05% chance. All I can say, too bad for ya, but it is normal.
m
l
January 29, 2010 11:03:23 AM

Well, I hope your right. I am RMA'ing my card back to XFX on Monday. What I am worried about is that I have read forum posts of multiple people who RMA'd their cards and recieved cards that still grey screen crashed.
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
January 29, 2010 11:41:40 AM

daedalus685 said:
Implying you don't want one at the prices they will command or that you don't believe they will be out for another year?? (They will be out by the summer, probably some time in the early spring.. quarter 2 at any rate..)

As for using a cooler as a card is coming 'source'.. well... It probably goes something like this.

"We are making a heat sink, how far appart will the holes have to be for it to fit?"

"It will be the same as the last generation, we use standard heat sink sizes on things like this."

"Oh ok, well what cards can we say it supports?"

"Just look at any random road map for the next generation, and you can always sell an adaptor later"

"Done and done!"

Well said but was it not you who said something similar about a month ago when that article was first linked to?

hallowed_dragon said:
If it acknowledges the problem you should be expecting a fix soon. And sincerely I don't view Tom's as a reliable source of 'good' ATI news, if you get my drift. And as I said in my reply, 0.05% chance. All I can say, too bad for ya, but it is normal.

AMD have publicly acknowledged that the issue occurs but as for how many people have had the issue they don't say but there is no way I would take any notice of some arbitury number that you pull out of your butt, how do you know the actual figure is not 752,456 cards affected?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2010 11:46:00 AM

Mousemonkey said:
Well said but was it not you who said something similar about a month ago when that article was first linked to?

AMD have publicly acknowledged that the issue occurs but as for how many people have had the issue they don't say but there is no way I would take any notice of some arbitury number that you pull out of your butt, how do you know the actual figure is not 752,456 cards affected?

I don't. You don't. I supposed and guesstimated. I seriously doubt there are more than 1% cards with these sort of problems. We would have had an ATI killfest right now, just like nVidia had with their overheating GPUs in laptops.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 28, 2010 8:17:48 AM

hallowed_dragon said:

I had 3 4870 changed by warranty in few months time, and all of them were crashing,BSOD and stuff, so its like 100% of the cars for me :D 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 28, 2010 9:08:21 AM

^ lol lol lol lol
m
l
!