Sdd or 6870

Hiya guys,
May seem like an odd question, but i currently have money to either get:
an ssd 240GB Kingston HyperX, 2.5" SSD, SATA III - 6Gb/s, SandForce
or another 6870
I would normally go for the gpu, but i'm not sure if my psu is upto it(Corsair CX600)
plus i can't find anywhere that has the same card in stock (MSI 6870 OC edition)
What do you guys think i should do?
15 answers Last reply
More about 6870
  1. your PSU is up to it for sure

what are your system specs currently?
  2. current specs are:

Asus m5a99x evo mobo
    AMD FX4100 overclocked @4.6
    ATI MSI 6870 OC
    Corsair CX600 PSU
  3. Don't do it. You're using up the 6870s and I want to crossfire later :P
  4. lol not many left by the looks of things, judging by reviews they should blast through games, i mainly play arma 2 and arma 3 when its out, think they should do the job.
  5. What resolution do you game at?
    For me it's always better to have 1 gpu over SLI/CF, not all games support it, drivers updates and possible problems.
    SSD's will help to reduce the load time not the actual gameplay. Windows will boot faster, ...
  6. if you currently have a HD6870 your already gpu heavy for your CPU, one 6870 is the highest i would go for any current AMD platform

i would put your money into the SSD, that would be a better upgrade for your current system
  7. Really? didn't think the bulldozers were "that" bad. i game at 1080p on a 40in lcd tv, won't be going any higher than that.
  8. bulldozers aren't very good gaming chips compared to their intel competition
  9. Yeah i did read in a few review that they aren't they best, but does the job for now at least, wondering if you can help me with another problem nna2, since getting the system i've been unable to access the bios at all, if i hit del the system just hangs.
    I rma'd the board thinking it was to blame, but i have the same problem with the new one.
    Searching google i came across a few post with people having the same problem and a few mentioned that it was because they were using a hdtv as a display (i'm using a luxor 40in lcd)
    the pc boots fine, runs all my games etc, but i'd really like to get into the bios.
    I'm using the latest bios update etc.
    Got any suggestions?
  10. try using VGA instead of HDMI, try going to your integrated GPU if that dosen't work

if you contact your motherboard manufacturer, they should be able to give you a workaround, if they have one that is
  11. one 6870 burns through any popular game. Only heavy weight champions like Metro, Arma 2, Crysis on MAX settings actually challenge it. I say get an SSD now. When next get of cards comes out, get a whole new single GPU (8870?) Good luck :)
  12. Both of those cards are going to get bottlenecked by that FX-4100.
  13. I'd personally go for the SSD.
  14. cgner said:
    one 6870 burns through any popular game. Only heavy weight champions like Metro, Arma 2, Crysis on MAX settings actually challenge it. I say get an SSD now. When next get of cards comes out, get a whole new single GPU (8870?) Good luck :)

when OP hits a very CPU intensive game his CPU will be a bottleneck
  15. nna2 said:
    when OP hits a very CPU intensive game his CPU will be a bottleneck

Now that your brought that to my attention, yes. That FX processor will bottleneck single/dual threaded games. Games like BF BC2 and BF 3 should be ok. Same with Metro
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Overclocking