Cbz87

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
Hello All. New to this forum as of today. I'm currently running an Intel i7 870 with an ASUS P7P55D-E Pro motherboard. I originally replaced the stock heatsink with a Thermaltake Silent 1156 CLP0552 92mm CPU cooler. Using the TurboV software included from ASUS, I've OC'd to 3.89GHz and it has been fine for the first few days. Within the last two days, I've seen two BSD occur, both different, and it seems the CPU temps are definitely higher than they should be. See below from CPUID Hardware Monitor.

Idle Temps:

Core #0 - 58 degrees Celsius
Core #1 - 58 degrees Celsius
Core #2 - 58 degrees Celsius
Core #3 - 58 degrees Celsius

95W

CPU FAN Speed Idle - 1600 RPM (Max 1795 RPM)

The only time I've seen the BSD is while playing Guild Wars 2 which puts heavy load on the CPU. I've seen the temps reach up to the high 80's or sometimes low 90's. I'm thinking that there is definitely a cooling issue, mainly related to the CPU heatsink. Shouldn't my idle temps be in the 40's? This is the first time I've OC'd so bare with me if I'm missing any information in this thread. I have yet to run Prime 95 or LinX in case anyone is going to ask. I did run an intel speed test which passed.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!

Cbz87

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

I am planning to do that this weekend and will post the results. After reading further reviews on my current HSF, sounds like most people are indicating that it is decent and very quiet, but definitely not the best cooler. I've been trying to find a nice upgrade to replace this that doesn't require me to install a plate under the motherboard.

Cbz87

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

That does look nice and is actually pretty cheap! Might order one of those from Newegg with a 2nd fan for it as well. Have a lot of room to work with.