• MSI-Microstar
  • Controller
  • Hard Drives
  • MSI
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
August 14, 2010 4:40:35 PM

Hi

I bought a MSI 975X Platinum Powerup Edition back in november 2007. It has served me well as a fileserver since then together with an Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 running @ 2.40 GHz and 4GB of Kingston ram. In addion I have some harddisks connected to it.

Apropos harddisks, here is where the problem lies: when I am connecting harddisks to the mobo, it refuses to start. This problem appeared recently when I was moving the harrdisks around in the case (Cooler Master Stacker T01 w/ four 4-in-3 modules (I've removed the DVD and the powerbutton is literary hanging out with the controllers at the back)).

I also know there is a problem with the internal harddrive controller simply because the so called D-bracked that came with the wotherboard is flashing this combination:

O O
O O

This means, according to the manual of the D-bracket, that there is a harddrive controller problem. The exact error message goes like this:

1. Initializing Hard Drive Controller
  2. - This will initialize IDE drive and controller

Some things I've tried:

• Resetting the BIOS five times under different circumstances
  • Removing everything exept graphics card, cpu, memory and one hard drive (aka. removing all controllercards)
  • Walking around the better part of three days thinking about what I can do
  • trying all the sata and ide slots in different combinations

The exact hw list for my system would be like this

• MSI 975X Platinum PowerUP Edition | current 7.9 bios
  • Intel Core 2 Duo E5600 @ 2.4 GHz w/ Noctua 120mm cooler
  • 4GB Kingston DDR2 667 (4*1024MB) ram
  • Thermaltake Toughpower 750W
  • Cooler Master Stacker STC-T01
  • Western Digital Blue 80GB IDE
  • 4*500GB Seagate Barracuda ES/ES.2

In addition I've read some guides here about choosing a chipset that is right for me (if I am not able to solve this harddrive controller problem).

I really appreciate good and thoughtful answers to this, as is really bothers me and I do not know what to do abot it.
  • More about : msi 975x plpe harddrive controller problem boot

September 9, 2010 9:29:16 AM

I have an almost identical setup and am getting the same problem. Did you get any answers or find a workaround?
    September 9, 2010 10:00:09 PM

I sent the card back to the shop, and got a Asus P6Q Deluxe back. They did not find out what it was though :( 
    !