Solved

What is a good PSU to run 3 way SLI gtx 260?

what is a good PSU for GTX 260 SSC 3 way SLI? thanks for your help!
29 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about what good
  1. You can always run with the Corsair 1000HX, which is more than enough power.

What is your current PSU? ... Any highend 850w + PSU should be able to run Tri-SLI with the use of PCI-e adpaters, if need be.
  2. enermax revolution 1050 would be one of the best if not the best.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194039
  3. tecmo34 said:
    You can always run with the Corsair 1000HX, which is more than enough power.

What is your current PSU? ... Any highend 850w + PSU should be able to run Tri-SLI with the use of PCI-e adpaters, if need be.

i have xion 800w, and ia run gtx 260 ssc 2 way SLI and i going to buy 3rd
  4. I would not trust your system to Zion 800w PSU for Tri-SLI. You will need to upgrade your PSU to be able to support it. Zion's are a Tier 4 and the two we've pointed out are Tier 1's (or 2 depending on who ranks :) ).
  5. Are these 260s already bought? If not, you may want to consider the HD Radeon 5970 for a bit less money which will perform better (especially if tri-SLI doesn't scale that well in some instances) and leave the option for future expansion open.
  6. Yes. You might consider getting one newer card for less money.. Also.. if you want to sell one of your 260 SSC cards I would be interested. Right now I only have one, would love to run two.
  7. tecmo34 said:
    I would not trust your system to Zion 800w PSU for Tri-SLI. You will need to upgrade your PSU to be able to support it. Zion's are a Tier 4 and the two we've pointed out are Tier 1's (or 2 depending on who ranks :) ).

i know than XION Supernova XON-800R14N 800W is not good SPU, but i got lucky, every thing work fine ( 2 EVGA GTX 260 SSC, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450, 8 fans, EVGA 780i, G.SKILL 4GB)
  8. cah027 said:
    Yes. You might consider getting one newer card for less money.. Also.. if you want to sell one of your 260 SSC cards I would be interested. Right now I only have one, would love to run two.

I would be interested if you want to sell your 260 SSC :) , right now is very hard to fined this card for a normal price, every sellers give very high price like over 300$, i bought my 2nd card from CHINA :) , what is your score on 3D Mark Vantage (high) for your GTX 260 SSC?
  9. matvey said:
    i know than XION Supernova XON-800R14N 800W is not good SPU, but i got lucky, every thing work fine ( 2 EVGA GTX 260 SSC, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450, 8 fans, EVGA 780i, G.SKILL 4GB)

You have been luck... :D Xion PSU and a Nvidia Chipset MOBO... It is like playing with fire and not getting burned. [:mousemonkey:5]

I get 22,000 on 3DMark Vantage at default settings with my dual GTX260 Core 216 SC GPU's.
  10. tecmo34 said:
    You have been luck... :D Xion PSU and a Nvidia Chipset MOBO... It is like playing with fire and not getting burned. [:mousemonkey:5]

I get 22,000 on 3DMark Vantage at default settings with my dual GTX260 Core 216 SC GPU's.

3DMark Vantage at default settings, you mean performance mode?
  11. Yes... Performance Mode
  12. tecmo34 said:
    Yes... Performance Mode

i didn't run at performance mode, i was using a high settings, i got 14000. if be honest i think it is kind of low. ( just GPU score)
  13. My score is the total score at 22,000. My GPU only score is 18,675 on Performance.
  14. tecmo34 said:
    My score is the total score at 22,000. My GPU only score is 18,675 on Performance.

ok i gonna run 3d mark in performance right now. :)
  15. tecmo34 said:
    My score is the total score at 22,000. My GPU only score is 18,675 on Performance.

here is my results GPU score is 18826 and total is 21618

http://service.futuremark.com/home.action
  16. Not to bad... :) They are pretty much in line with my GTX260 SC cards.

If you get a third card, send me a PM of your score. I thought about adding a third in my system but never made the "leap".
  17. tecmo34 said:
    Not to bad... :) They are pretty much in line with my GTX260 SC cards.

If you get a third card, send me a PM of your score. I thought about adding a third in my system but never made the "leap".

so, am i lucky :) with my XION? how do you think, am i going to be fine with Corsair 1000HX on 3 way SLI?
  18. matvey said:
    I would be interested if you want to sell your 260 SSC :) , right now is very hard to fined this card for a normal price, every sellers give very high price like over 300$, i bought my 2nd card from CHINA :) , what is your score on 3D Mark Vantage (high) for your GTX 260 SSC?

I dont know what it is on high but on the default it was 12095 or something like that.
  19. cah027 said:
    I dont know what it is on high but on the default it was 12095 or something like that.

here is my results GPU score is 18826 and total is 21618 ( at performance settings)

probably you read this already
  20. Best answer
    matvey said:
    so, am i lucky :) with my XION? how do you think, am i going to be fine with Corsair 1000HX on 3 way SLI?

"Back on Topic" :) You will be fine running three 260's with the Corsair 1000HX.
  21. matvey said:
    here is my results GPU score is 18826 and total is 21618 ( at performance settings)

probably you read this already

Sent you a message.

I would get the Corsair 1000watt to if I were you. I have 2 Corsair PSU's and love them. I have an 850 for my i7 and will eventually go up to 2 way sli (maybe) I am sure it would even handle 3way but would get a 1000Watt to be sure.
  22. Best answer selected by matvey.
  23. I hate to disagree but I just had to replace a Corsair HX1000W because I did not do a power calculation beforehand and figured it would be more than enough to handle an Asus P6T6 WS Revolution, Core i7 Extreme, 2 HDDs, a single DVD drive, 6 case fans (nothing fancy or very power consuming (5 x 180mm, 1 x 220mm), AND three (3) BFG Geforce OC 275 GTX's. I use a modified Promethia Mach II phase change unit for cooling which has its own power supply.

When I ran a Corsair HX1000W the MB would light up for a second or two and quit, period. The Corsair was and is running fine as I have tested it at length with an Antec PSU meter with no variations or spikes. I figured it had to either be a courrupt BIOS or a PSU issue and ran a power need calculation at: http://www.antec.outervision.com/ (I have a personal preference for this calculator over Nvidia's simply because it is more comprehensive) and learned that I required a minimum PSU of 1,250w. I had a 1,600w Ultra X3 (yes not 1,500 and I have no idea why they changed) modular I had been using when I was running 4870 X2's (which I regret giving up) but switched as it only has two PCI-E 6 pin plugs and liked the Corsair configuration. Bottom line when I installed the X3 the board began to post.

I took the liberty of running the power requirement for three 260's through Nvidia Sli Zone [http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_build_psu.html] which basically puts your need at at least 1,200w. The majority of PSU's recommended are 1,200w (even above). While there is a 950w listed as well as a 1,000w or two, I believe, but am no electrical expert, that they are likely unique as the ones I have any knowledge of listed by Nvidia in the lower range are unique designs. For instance they list the Enermax Revolution 85+ 950w PSU as acceptable for 3-way 260's; however all of this series of Enermax cards output more than rated. For instance the 950w Revolution will output 1,140watts (enough difference to run a card most of the time).

Long story short check with the experts and my rule of thumb is to add a few hundred watts as I don't know about you but when a good 3-way cooling solution comes around I will be the first in line. GOOD LUCK
  24. tri sli is not even worth it, just get a gtx 295 if you cant wait for fermi or get a 5970
  25. I have to admit I can't argue that one.
  26. i got Antec TruePower Quattro 1200W and it runs great.
  27. tecmo34 said:
    Not to bad... :) They are pretty much in line with my GTX260 SC cards.

hey man,, i got 3rd gtx 260 ssc and here is my results 3D Mark Vantage, performance mode GPU - 26323; CPU - 49557; total - 29818
  28. Impressive Scores...

I get roughly 22,000 with two, so maybe it is worth it :) However, I'll wait for the next round from Nvidia & ATI before upgrading. (current system runs everything I do at levels I want).
  29. tecmo34 said:
    Impressive Scores...

I get roughly 22,000 with two, so maybe it is worth it :) However, I'll wait for the next round from Nvidia & ATI before upgrading. (current system runs everything I do at levels I want).

the GTX 480 is not what i expected. i will wait a year. will see what NVIDIA going to make.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Gtx SLI Systems Product