Will my radeon 489+hdmi port support 5.1 sound without a sound card?

ekidhardt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
Of course I bought a radeon 4890 without the HDMI port--why use it I thought!

I'm trying to get 5.1 sound through my receiver, and from what I'm reading, the HDMI port on my video card, supports AUDIO out?! crazy!

So my question--is that true? Can I attach my HDMI cable to my TV (from video card), then link the TV to the receiver via HDMI...and..will that work? Will that produce audio from the PC?

Much appreciated!

E

Solution
Yes. The 4xxx series, and 5xxx series, cards have a built in audio codec on the card. I had a 4870 and it came with a DVI to HDMI adapter which had t be plugged into DVI port 1 on the card. I could connect this to my TV and it passed audio. You just have to make sure that the proper audio device is selected. I believe it is ATI HD Audio codec, or something like that.
Yes. The 4xxx series, and 5xxx series, cards have a built in audio codec on the card. I had a 4870 and it came with a DVI to HDMI adapter which had t be plugged into DVI port 1 on the card. I could connect this to my TV and it passed audio. You just have to make sure that the proper audio device is selected. I believe it is ATI HD Audio codec, or something like that.

Solution

ekidhardt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
interesting. Ok so I've done some research.

There is an amazing amount of misinformation on the web about this. About 75% of the people say Audio via DVI is impossible. One guy had the answer and said that it is certainly possible, but there is no industry standard, and that ATI etc, have developed their own standard, and thus can do it.

From the hundreds of things I've read, people are saying the special ATI DVI-HDMI adapter is necessary in order for it to work, and a straight DVI-->hdmi cable won't work, that the adapter is necessary.

But then, I'm seeing people saying that no adapter is necessary.

on newegg there are specific "DVI to HDMI adapter for 4x series cards" sold by HIS, for 9.99, but also one for 1.99 sold by Rosewill with a reviwer saying it got his audio working. I called Rosewill tech support and didn't get an answer...no wait, just did. He said.. no idea :)

Thanks again!