Windows XP Install Problem

peye2000

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Need some help getting Window XP to finish installing once the XP disk goes to re-boot.. System just shuts off,, I have a 200GB HD I just put in, used a win98 disk and ran, fdisk to set dos partition, then Formatted c:\ drive with the format/s, command,, The computer will now boot from the Hard Drive with the Win98 system,

Now this is what's up, I run my WinXP Pro setup disk to install on C:, once it runs all like it should coping file etc.. etc.. The SYSTEM like it should has to reboot,, to finish the install / setup routine asking for serial code date and time, ect.. MY MOTHERBOARD JUST SHUTS DOWN..

In order to restart the computer I have to unplug the 24 pin connector from the motherboard.. Just so you know, I first tried un-pulling the power supply plug, discharging the system, sometimes I can wait and come back and it will start then, (its not over heating) But only booting to the C:\ drive windows 98 system... It will not finish the Winxp Pro install,, I,m sure it put files on the HD for win, but DOS will not let me see them.. Any help would be great... Thanks..

One other thing I tried was running Western Digital drive installing software, once it loads the program, its like its going to open, same thing,, it still causes the system to shut down same way as stated above..

peye2000

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Now this is what's up, I run my WinXP Pro setup disk to install on C:, once it runs all like it should coping file etc.. etc.. The SYSTEM like it should has to reboot,, to finish the install / setup routine asking for serial code date and time, ect.. MY MOTHERBOARD JUST SHUTS DOWN..
BIOS shows HD as 200GB

Its as if its going to access the files it just wrote to C drive and finish the install ???? or the reboot follow up and access CD Rom like it should,, and just like that everything shuts off..

In order to restart the computer I have to unplug the 24 pin connector from the motherboard.. Just so you know, I first tried un-pulling the power supply plug, discharging the system, sometimes I can wait and come back and it will start then, (its not over heating) But only booting to the C:\ drive windows 98 system... It will not finish the Winxp Pro install,, I,m sure it put files on the HD for win, but DOS will not let me see them.. Any help would be great... Thanks..

One other thing I tried was running Western Digital drive installingsoftware, once it loads the program, its like its going to open, same thing,, it still causes the system to shut down same way as stated above..

peye2000

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010

I run my WinXP Pro setup disk to install on C:, once it runs all like it should coping file etc.. etc.. The SYSTEM like it should has to reboot,, to finish the install / setup routine asking for serial code date and time, ect.. MY MOTHERBOARD JUST SHUTS DOWN..
BIOS shows HD as 200GB

Its as if its going to access the files it just wrote to C drive and finish the install ???? or the reboot follow up and access CD Rom like it should,, and just like that everything shuts off..

One other thing I tried was running Western Digital drive installingsoftware, once it loads the program, its like its going to open, same thing,, it still causes the system to shut down same way as stated above..

peye2000

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010

I run my WinXP Pro setup disk to install on C:, once it runs all like it should coping file etc.. etc.. The SYSTEM like it should has to reboot,, to finish the install / setup routine asking for serial code date and time, ect.. MY MOTHERBOARD JUST SHUTS DOWN..
BIOS shows HD as 200GB

peye2000

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010

All that has been tried, I use 3rd party partition software to check disk for any problems, I believe the MB has a hardware problem, When XP goes to finilize checking hardware after I get the windows LOGO now, the system is forced into a shut down... ran Memtest for the heck of it again with a bootable disk, all runs good, windows forced into reboot cycle for some hardware probem, can"t get or find any boot cd that will boot the machine..