I have a XFX Radeon HD 6770 as title says, and im wondering how far of an OC could i get? and would i see major improvement in bf3 @1080p? Core clock speed is 850 and memory clock is 1200 stock, and i believe voltage is locked and would using msi afterburner be the best way to oc?

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
It varies from card to card, but I would expect +30mhz on the low side with stock voltage and up to ~+150Mhz if you are willing to bump voltage. (MSI Afterburner allows you to unlock voltage in the settings menu)

Don't forget to download kombustor, or something like it, to load test your card for max temp and stability.

I also wouldn't try to overclock the ram until after you nailed down a good stable overclock on the core clock.

mikes1992

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
This isn't a recommendation but once I just decided to Copy the settings for the next card up from mine with higher clocks and I instantly found the sweet spot for the card lol. I tried adding 10mhz after that and it was unstable.

I think I got something like +200mhz on the memory and +40mhz on the core

Like z1nonly says, it varies from card to card. I'd suggest adding 10mhz at a time on the core and keep testing and once you get stability issues back the clocks off a little (I normally take about 5-10mhz depending on how far the OC went).

mikes1992

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
to be honest lazyboy, you probably won't notice much if your frames are above 30fps, maybe if you're sensitive to frame rates it may look slightly smoother but in my personal experience it only normally adds about 5-10% on frame rates... so maybe an extra 3-6fps Unless you're willing to change the voltage, that's when you can really start to feel and see the differences.

ill give it a try and see whats stable, and if it'll be worth it to keep it overclocked.

On high preset and my 1080p 24inch dynex tv, with the 6770, i get 25-30 fps on 64 player rush operation metro. there isnt much lag and is playable, but i usually play 32-64 player tdm on small maps so fps increase but yeah, it is very capable of playing bf3 on high preset, just matters what fps and how smooth it plays matters to you

Yeah, that's basically what I mean by "not very well". I prefer a solid 60 FPS, when possible (it should be noted that I only have a 1280x1024 monitor for the moment, so low FPS isn't really a problem for me. Getting a new 1080p monitor soon though). 25-30 just wouldn't cut it for me personally.

well im use to playing ps3 and ik they dont reach high fps so thats prob why, and low settings on bf3 for pc is similar to the ps3 quality, so for me as long as its playable and not laggy works, im hoping to get a 6870 or 7850 in the near future but i think a new psu and crosshair iv will be first as my motherboard is known by starting fires lol.