Disappearing memory

Alright, so I did a mild overclock on my i7 930 of 3.2ghz. Just noticed today that it only showed 3.99 out of 6gigs usable. So, I went and tried increasing the voltage to the memory and cpu vtt. The bios then recognized all 6 gigs. Went back into windows, 2 gigs were msising again. Went back into the bios, and it only showed 4 gigs.

So, I reset to defaults and windows sees all 6 gigs. Tried again, same problem. Then, I reset to default, same problem. Went back into bios and reset to default a few times, and windows sees all 6. If this makes sense. Basically, the bios showed 6 gigs after increasing voltage, but windows didn't see it. Went back to stock, windows didnt see it. Now windows sees it again.

I don't get it.
3 answers Last reply
More about disappearing memory
  1. Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

What mobo do u have? Do this:

Run msconfig, boot tab, advance options and check the part that says "Max memory" shouldn't be selected.
  2. saint19 said:
    Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

What mobo do u have? Do this:

Run msconfig, boot tab, advance options and check the part that says "Max memory" shouldn't be selected.

Did all that. It only happens when I overclock. Looking at some forums, it's apparently a widespread problem. At default settings, everything is fine. When I overclock, even a very small overclock, 2 gigs of memory disappear.

I'm on an EVGA x58 sli motherboard.
  3. Is that widespread problem with the same mobo that u have? or similar specs?
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory BIOS