Which graphics card is the best option?

presse1

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
I am about to go about assembling a homebuilt system and had a couple questions about the graphics cards.

I have a fairly good sized budget and had originally planned on getting the ati 5970 beastly card. However, due to limited availability everywhere I look and a very high price, $600 to $650, I'm considering other options.

I plan to run a 1900x1200 resolution on a 28" monitor and have no real plans of using multiple monitors anytime in the future. I'm almost exclusively a gamer.

How do two ati 4890s in crossfire stack up against one ati 5870? Most of the reviews I have read seem to favor crossfiring the 4890s...

Also, should other top end graphics options even be considered? The above mentioned graphics cards will save me over 200 $ over one 5970 and if they will allow me to play all the games out today and in the near future (one to two years) at maxed out settings at a 1900x1200 resolution then I see no real need to splurge on the 5970 today.

Any advice? Thanks

(2) 4890's will outperform a single 5870, unless of course a certain game does not benefit from a crossfire configuration. However, over all two 4890's have more power. However, I did and would still go for a single 5870 as DX11 titles are going to start coming out in the new year and I want to be able to play them in all their glory.

If you want a 5970 and have the money for it, I would just wait until they are available. However, if you are looking to save some money, and need to buy now, I'd still take a single card over the two cards even if the performance is slightly less. There are alot of benefits to going with a single card.... like far less heat issues.