Sign in with
Your question

6gb but only 4 usable

Last response: in Memory
August 15, 2010 12:39:20 AM

Ive bought a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, X58 and i have this problem.
i have 6gb memory (2gbx3) but only 4gb gets read in BIOS, and only 4gb usable in windows.

What can i do to fix this?
Im running windows 7 64-bit.

More about : 6gb usable

August 15, 2010 1:19:10 AM

run memtest and see if you have a bad stick
a c 163 } Memory
August 15, 2010 1:39:32 AM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

1- Run msconfig, boot tab, advance options and the option "max RAM" should not be selected.
2-Read the manual of the mobo, as far I know Gigabyte as an option for addressable RAM in the BIOS.
3- I none of those works, follow the jefe323's suggestion or test stick by stick to know if all works.
Related resources
August 15, 2010 5:34:41 AM

Uhm im not familiar with how to do a memtest and which program to do so, do you have a link to a program that will do the job?

1- Checked, it is not selected.
2- Will be hard as i don't have manuals anymore :( 
3- Don't know how to run memtest, nor which program i use to do so. I could google but i have no clue on what sites are "safe".

But im fairly certain the sticks are fine, as i have gotten 4gb when placed A-B, A-C and B-C. (sticks ABC)
a b } Memory
August 15, 2010 7:39:55 AM

DvstR said:
Uhm im not familiar with how to do a memtest and which program to do so, do you have a link to a program that will do the job?

1- Checked, it is not selected.
2- Will be hard as i don't have manuals anymore :( 
3- Don't know how to run memtest, nor which program i use to do so. I could google but i have no clue on what sites are "safe".

But im fairly certain the sticks are fine, as i have gotten 4gb when placed A-B, A-C and B-C. (sticks ABC)

gigabytes site has your manual mate, not sure if your rev1 or 2, but heres a link
http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/download-cent...
Memtest, you download the program, then burn it as an iso file to a cd,
then boot the pc from cd drive and it runs, you can only test one stick at a time though,
*Non memtest method*<Easier imo
Might be better off taking your sticks all out,
try booting pc with one stick of ram at a time, if one stick in particular is causing problems, boot failure, hanging etc, its a good indicator that stick is bad,
repeat with all sticks you have
Moto
August 15, 2010 8:31:24 AM

Do i need to burn the program from CD or can i use Daemon tools etc?
Thx for manual site aswell :D 
August 15, 2010 8:33:02 AM

Oh one more thing, while i was searching for this issue i found that some said that flashing of BIOS was needed. Is this the case if the sticks are not damaged? And is flashing BIOS tricky or?
a b } Memory
August 15, 2010 9:10:31 AM

Sorry, was off playing WoW :) 
Memtest.
you burn the iso image to a cd, set your bios to boot from cd then you power off, remove all but one stick of ram, power up and it boots into memtest and starts running tests on that stick, one test pass is fine as a guide but its recommended to run it on each stick for a few hours to be sure

not sure about daemon tools sorry,above method is one most people use

Flashing bios can be tricky and totally screw you up if you dont know what your doing,
i'd test the memory first and rule that out before flashing bios tbh
Moto
August 15, 2010 12:59:14 PM

Hmm gonna have to purchase some CDs soon then :p  lol
thanks for reply so fast :) 
August 15, 2010 4:49:51 PM

no, daemon tools wont work, you'll need a physical drive/disc
August 15, 2010 8:32:08 PM

Yeah figured since i have to boot from cd when starting up :( 
Shop opens tomorrow, so unless i fail and sleep like a stone i should be getting some CDs tomorrow :) 
!