So After doing a new build for the lady, I got the itch to get myself a new box to put my toys in.
I currently am using a Raidmax Smilodon extreme black edition (the one with the green sexiness)
She loved the look of the antec 900 and thats what I got for her. It's surprisingly nice in my opinion. It has more little "features" than what was shown in the picture, including 2 precut slots for cable management and a pre-cut hole to access the CPU HSF that is not in the pictures.
Anyway, I really liked the space, all the fans, and the big 200mm fan at the top. I missed the green color and and tooless drive installation from my smilodon.
So i decided that since I'd be upgrading my case with my next build anyways, why not do it now and get something bigger, quieter and nicer that what I'm using now?
I originally was just going to get the Antec 900 as well, but that loses points because she's using one, and that's no good. Gotta have at least a hair or originality . Course I could always just put some green LED fans in it instead of the blue. That would suffice I suppose.
BUT I really wanted a cutout near the PSU to clean up the case, and the Antec 900 does not have that. So i started looking for cases that did have that
The top dogs it seems in this department for looks/function and price seem to be:
- Antec 900 Two
- HAF 922
I am not interested in a full tower case. The HAF 922 is the biggest thing I would ever want to buy...
So I'm currrently deciding between the two. I am certainly open to other options if you guys have suggestions. I will list my pros and cons of the 900-2 and the haf 922 and you will get an idea of what other cases to recommend from there I assume...
- Best looking case on the market imo. Have to admit thats a big factor...
- has decent pre-cut cable management options (at least the 2 I need, near PSU and some to the right of the mobo)
- External fan controls build in
- comes with many fans (2 front led intake, 1 back led, 1 led top fan. This is nice cause when i replace the blue exhaust with green, I can add this to the fiance's window in her antec 900)
- Blue led's, not RED, cause I hate red.
- Nice big window, with a 120mm fan mounting ( = affordable fan option. 200mm is too big to buy)
- everything needs to be screwed in...with screws.
- Harddrive mounting bracket faces normally instead of like the HAF 922.
- More expensive right now than i can afford... just came back in stock at newegg $20 more than before...
- More cable management holes
- black interior
- tooless installation
- affordable at $89 after rebate right now
- Don't know the brand
- don't love the looks of the case
- small window (with a 200mm fan mounting... too big takes up the whole window and too expensive to buy...)
- lack of stock LED's
- RED led... yuck... gamer GREEN baby!
- maybe too big to really be called a mid-tower? I do take the thing to LAN every once in a while...
So anyways. What do you guys think? I found a Dremel-like cutting tool at a local sotre with like a billion accessories for $20, so i could always add cable management holes i guess, but I really really don't want to. The Antec has the ones I need I guess. The HAF has every one I could think of.. I feel like I'd be happy either way coming from a case with none...
Sorry for the super long post. If you didn't read through the whole thing, the basic idea is:
or other recomendations based on my likes/dislikes...
Thanks all! (I found a buyer for my current case, So i need to decide quick!)
The HAF is quite a nice case. If you can't quite afford any of your other options, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.
On size, the HAF is both longer and wider than the Antec case. They're both about the same height though (within a third of an inch, I think.)
Remember that the HAF has a plain steel interior, not black like the Antec.
You might also want to look at the new Lancool cases. I don't have any experience with them but I've heard good things. It should also be a bit more affordable than the 902...
The whole line up of CM products is a win. I personally like the Cm 692 Advanced the most. The scout and the sniper are also good if your going to be moving it around.
The HAF's have great versatility and is going to highly recommended where ever you look.
I would go to youtube and check out some unbox, documentary builds, and reviews to get a good idea of what it will be like to build with each case.
From here you should find several more videos I really like document builds, some cases I thought that would have good clearance behind the MoBo tray ended up being duds, here you go: