Sign in with
Your question

I5 2500k temps

Last response: in Overclocking
August 30, 2012 9:18:04 AM

Hi everybody,

I would like to know when o'c my cpu with AI overlock tuner in BIOS if the thing to care about temperature when running Prime 95 stress test is the cpu temperature or the core temperature? I mean that when running my stress test in prime 95, the core temps are at about 73° Celsius (according to Real temp) and my cpu tempertaure is 58° Celsius (according to Ai Suite 2). Which one is the good one? because my resaler says i shouldn't go over 65° celsius when overclocking for the long term reliability of my cpu?

my rig:

I5 2500k on P8Z77-v motherboard with 16 go corsair 1600mhz vengeance- 2 ssd samsung 128 go in raid0.
Heatsink of the cpu : Zalman cpu cooler CNPS9300 AT. (is that a good one?)

thanks in advance for your answers and sorry for my poor english,

More about : 2500k temps

August 30, 2012 10:56:46 AM

DOn't use Real Temp - it does not show me my temps correctly. Use HWMonitor. As for the temps 70C isn't that bad. I have my oc'ed to 4,ghz and my temperatures after 7 hours are max 70C on core. In normal everyday usage you won't stress your cpu in 100% all the time and the temps will be lower.

When you OC first find your stable setting then try lowering the voltage until you find the lowest stable one. I would recommend temps lower than 80C

August 30, 2012 2:03:53 PM

That high temps for SB?
Look at mine, though im using Hyper 212 EVO aftermarket fan & Arctic Silver 5 paste.

Ive read tests and forums on thermal paste, the difference can be huge (as much as 10C diff, but usually good ones tests between 5C of each other.
Fans, between Hyper 212 EVO and the Noctura is a 6-8C diff, but having a fan over stock is a big difference.

Thats just hardware, im did a little research and tested some settings, look at my results. I have an issue too though.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/278637-29-3ghz
Related resources
August 30, 2012 6:50:26 PM

xtwiinky said:
That high temps for SB?
Look at mine, though im using Hyper 212 EVO aftermarket fan & Arctic Silver 5 paste.

Ive read tests and forums on thermal paste, the difference can be huge (as much as 10C diff, but usually good ones tests between 5C of each other.
Fans, between Hyper 212 EVO and the Noctura is a 6-8C diff, but having a fan over stock is a big difference.

Thats just hardware, im did a little research and tested some settings, look at my results. I have an issue too though.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/278637-29-3ghz

hum i would like to have 65°c at 4.3 ghz in prime95 but mine at 4,3ghz goes up to 80°C when full load in prime 95. Could you tell me which settings to put into BIOS? has cpu voltage pll such an effect on temps? I assume i put in something wrong that makes my temps higher than yours.

Amazing the difference of temps you are encountering when going higher than 4,3 ghz? To what is it due?

(sorry for poor english)
August 30, 2012 7:50:27 PM

arnnie17 said:
hum i would like to have 65°c at 4.3 ghz in prime95 but mine at 4,3ghz goes up to 80°C when full load in prime 95. Could you tell me which settings to put into BIOS? has cpu voltage pll such an effect on temps? I assume i put in something wrong that makes my temps higher than yours.

Amazing the difference of temps you are encountering when going higher than 4,3 ghz? To what is it due?

(sorry for poor english)

I dont know about other programs and whether they average core temps or etc, but in my data, some cores run hotter than others, and one core usually runs about 10C hotter than the coolest. So you should know every core temps vs an average.
Ive read that you will never hit those temps under real-world work, you will never use 100% of your cpu, not even close.
About the temps, I think its the voltages, Ive heard that when your BIOS is on auto (basically stock) they usually supply a higher voltage than whats really needed. Higher voltages = more heat. When im on 4.5ghz vs 4.3, the Vcore voltage is increased from 1.16 to 1.37. Ive read guides where a guy ran 4.8ghz on 1.35V, so the auto voltage is pretty overkill.

Try OCCT, use CPUlinpack thats within the program, put the idle period in the begining at 0, see if you get the same results. (its what I use)
Again.. let me clarify Im not experienced or know much, i talk alot with a friend and have done many hours of research.

August 30, 2012 8:26:52 PM

Hey, ive run Primme95 for 20min and checked its temp, im getting between 62-68 on my hottest core, 55-62 on my coolest. Pretty much same results.
August 31, 2012 8:39:19 AM

hi thanks for your anwer,

at 4,0 ghz i'am getting near the 70°C in prime 95 stress test but i think what is really important for the survival of your cpu is the cputin(hardware monitor) or cpu temperature (AI suite 2) according to the response i had on the intel forum. This temperature mustn't go higher than 65°C according to the intel representative who was answered my question.
August 31, 2012 12:36:38 PM

arnnie17 said:
hi thanks for your anwer,

at 4,0 ghz i'am getting near the 70°C in prime 95 stress test but i think what is really important for the survival of your cpu is the cputin(hardware monitor) or cpu temperature (AI suite 2) according to the response i had on the intel forum. This temperature mustn't go higher than 65°C according to the intel representative who was answered my question.

From what I've read around the internet, although you would want cooler temperatures in any case, having 100% load temperatures in the high 70's is fine. Where many people draw the line to be safe is in the 80's.
Your CPU can run up til 105C. Although no one would recommend you keep or even go that high.

Your CPU will still have quite a few years of life even overclocked, I think it really all depends on the temperature, because the CPU stock with an Intel fan gets the same temperatures as an overclocked CPU with aftermarket fans.

I think Prime95 is used to check for errors and I've read that to make sure your cpu is nearly 100% stable, you should run it 24h. So if your unsure of your stability on an overclocked cpu, if it can pass a test like that, its completely stable. Ive read Prime95 usually catches alot of erros many hours into testing, like 6 or 16 hours in.

EDIT:BTW you really should be having those temps at much higher overclocks. SB runs much cooler than IB, but IB has performance increases that are equivilant to .3ghz of an SB overclock.
AKA my cpu @ 4.3 should be as hot,fast and stable as yours at 4.6ghz
August 31, 2012 1:17:12 PM

70C is not that much, don't worry, although you may want to try lowering the temps. Try this by lowering your voltage. For example my 2500k (with mugen 2) at 4Ghz with voltage set to offset mode -0,050V heats now to 66 after 6h of prime blend test. And I'm pretty sure I can go even lower with the voltage. Also I think I applied too much thermal paste.

As for the thermal paste - if you're pc has just been assembled remember that your thermal paste has a break-in period. After this period it fully gains its properties and your temps may drop down a bit.
August 31, 2012 2:13:21 PM

Thanks a lot for your replies,

ok i won't worry then my computer has been assembled beginning of this month so i should wait a little bit so that the thermal paste works at his full efficiency. I am going to put the offset mode in -0,050v to see if there is any differences in the temps.

twiinky thanks for your help i didn't know that the early 70ies were convenient i am now reliefed to hear that.
a b à CPUs
September 5, 2012 10:30:10 PM

Ai Suite 2 does not report the peak core temperature, RealTemp, Core Temp and other similar software does. You can't compare Ai Suite 2 to other software if the data is coming from totally different sensors.

To be honest, the temperature data that Ai Suite 2 reports is useless. It comes from a sensor that has nothing to do with any Intel specification so whatever temperature that is reported from Ai Suite doesn't matter.

As long as your CPU is not thermal throttling then it is running within the Intel specification. If RealTemp shows OK at the bottom then that means it is not throttling and everything is OK.

Intel uses peak core temperature data to control thermal throttling and thermal shutdown. I can't think of a reason why you would want to monitor anything else.
September 6, 2012 5:57:30 AM

Mines at 4.6ghz at the moment and I dont get passed 65C on 100% load after 5 hours. Do you have thermal paste on teh chip?
!