Sign in with
Your question

SD card corrupted: results of 7 software tools, need help

Last response: in Storage
January 10, 2012 3:04:19 PM

I can see the photos and video on my 16GB Kingston SD card using my Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 camera. But when I put the SD card into my Rosewill card reader (or when I connect via a USB cable) and try to access the letter drive in My Computer, I get the following message: “The disk is drive I is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?”

The Camera and Scanner Wizard doesn’t see the SD card either. Also, I tried to see/transfer the video files from within Ubuntu 11.10, but it also failed to detect my SD card.

Question: How can I fix my SD card and/or transfer the photos and video to my computer? I tried three types of solutions, which I will list below.

Option 1: Put SD card in another camera or camcorder
I had a partial success when put the SD card into a Canon Vixia HD camcorder. It saw the pictures (in picture playback mode) and I was able to transfer them to the computer with the Scanner and Camera Wizard in XP. But when I switched to video mode, it said there was a memory card error and it wouldn’t display the video thumbnails (and therefore couldn't transfer them to the computer.) I tried with a Canon SD1000 camera, but it showed a memory card error message.

Option 2: Connect camera via HDMI to television
This was successful. I am able to connect an HDMI cable and watch the photos and video on my HDTV. But my television doesn’t have any outputs so I don’t know how to transfer them back to a computer. Can you suggest a way? Maybe with a Tivo or something?

Option 3: Use diagnostic software to try to fix the SD card
Windows XP built-in Disk Management tool sees the 16GB removeable disk, which is a good sign, I guess. I ran the Error Checking, but no message pops up and there is no improvement. Next, I downloaded and ran the following software tools. See the detailed report below. Nothing fixed it, but maybe you can interpret the results for me.

• ZAR 9 (build 42): Image Recovery sees my 16GB SD card. When I click Next, it runs begins filling in the Volume map. After 15 minutes, it reports: “Unable to continue. There seems to be no files on volume. Unable to continue processing. Not a bug - data is probably beyond repair, or something is misconfigured.”
  • Pandora Recovery (2.1.1): It doesn’t even see my SD media, so I cannot do anything.
  • Recuva 1.42: It reports “Unable to read boot sector”. (By comparison, other drives will no media say “The device is not ready.”)
  • DriveRestore Professional 3.1.2: It sees the SD media. But it says “Unknown file system” and when I click the Drive View tab, it says: “I is corrupted.” In the Advanced Drive Health Diagnostics and Repair very long test, it reports “No system errors have been detected, Would you like to perform a complete diagnostic scan?” and shows: “PASS - Physical Drive - diagnostic check 36 at sector 0” and “PASS - Boot sector of I: -Diagnostic check 4 at sector 0.” The diagnostic scan reports: Drive Status is Excellent. No drive problems have been detected. However, in the details “Corrupt partitions” has a 1 next to it, which I guess means the partition is corrupted.
  • iCare Data Recovery Software 4.5.2: In Lost Partition Recovery tool, it eventually shows a folder called Raw Files, but with no files inside, so I can’t recover anything. In Advanced File Recovery, the SD card drive is not listed. In Deep Scan Recovery, same result as Lost Partition Recovery. In Format Recovery, the SD card drive is not listed.
  • Convar PC Inspector File Recovery: It scans all drives to find them and on the SD card drive reports: “Bad parameter in boot sector: Bytes Per Sector (0) = 0!” On the retrieving existing files and directors tool, it reports an error.
  • Stellar Phoenix Photo Recovery: Scans sectors and reports an error.

In conclusion, I need help interpreting the results from the disk analysis. Is my SD card beyond (easy) repair. If so, can you suggest how I can get my videos transferred using HDMI?

Thanks.
    January 22, 2012 4:42:57 PM

Update: None of the tools listed worked for me. So in the end I bought an HDMI-to-Composite converter box, and outputted my video to my MiniDV camcorder. Then I connected that to my computer. So, I lost resolution, but got my videos off my SD card.
    m
    l
    May 13, 2012 8:07:29 AM

darrylincanada said:
    Update: None of the tools listed worked for me. So in the end I bought an HDMI-to-Composite converter box, and outputted my video to my MiniDV camcorder. Then I connected that to my computer. So, I lost resolution, but got my videos off my SD card.

Hi, I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. here are a few tools to help or really hurt. maybe between the both of us we can get it resolved.
    go too 4 shared.com download testdisk-6.11.3 and ill upload a few more that seemed promising
    usb flash drive recovery, winmend data recovery, usb secure, smart ntfs recover, sdfat, usb utilities diskinternals partition, memory card recovery.

what I understand happened the sd card has 2 different partitions that are formatted differently. EX. 16GB 1/2 8GB formatted FAT32 & other 8GB formatted exFat or NTFS. and probably has 2 different bit siZes. hopefully this will be helpful 4 people in the future too.
    m
    l
    !