Pc wont start with 8 pin connected. (after failed overclock)

Hey, as the title says. I am having some problems with my computer, it will only start with the 8pin for the CPU unconntected. I have tried with another psu but I still have the same problem. I am guessing that it's the mobo or the CPU, what could it be? :??:
18 answers Last reply
More about wont start connected after failed overclock
  1. Did you try resetting the CMOS jumper?
  2. Sooth1 said:
    Did you try resetting the CMOS jumper?

Aha, sorry for not saying it, But yes. I did try that and it didn't work. I did also try putting out the battery for 5 min.
  3. I would suspect the PSU. What model do you have? And which other one did you use?
  4. unplug all part and reasemble them (gpu and memory).

Usualy the 8p 12v is used for powering the pci-ex and extra power in processor..
    check the capacitor and the mostfet around the processor (usually there a heatsink)
  5. Sooth1 said:
    I would suspect the PSU. What model do you have? And which other one did you use?

I have a "cooler master 700w silent pro gold" and it worked in a other computer, so it doesn't feel lke that is the problem.
    The other one i tried was 520w trough, same thing happened there.

system specc:
    CPU: AMD phenom II 1090t (6x)
    GPU: AMD HD Radeon 6950
    PSU: cooler master 700w silent pro gold
    Motherboard: MSI 870A-G54
  6. rdc85 said:
    unplug all part and reasemble them (gpu and memory).

Usualy the 8p 12v is used for powering the pci-ex and extra power in processor..
    check the capacitor and the mostfet around the processor (usually there a heatsink)

What should i check? if they have blowed up or are broken?
  7. what do you mean "after failed overclock"? you pushed it too high? you might have fried your motherboard O_O
  8. najirion said:
    what do you mean "after failed overclock"? you pushed it too high? you might have fried your motherboard O_O

I Fo actully hope that it is the motherboard instead of the CPU.
    Well, i do actully don't know if i did, the application Maybe did, i used amd overdrive for overclock, and i used " voltage boost" to. The CPU doesnt look fried at all.
  9. First just try to reasemble see if it helps..

I would look for burn mark in the pcb/board, swalen Electrolic cap, or cracked solid cap/mosfet, etc..
  10. rdc85 said:
    First just try to reasemble see if it helps..

I would look for burn mark in the pcb/board, swalen Electrolic cap, or cracked solid cap/mosfet, etc..

I have tried to reasmble, I couldn't find anything diffrent like a swalen electronic cap or something like that.
  11. check to see that your mb has all it bios updates.
  12. smorizio said:
    check to see that your mb has all it bios updates.

Umm, how should i be able to check that?
    i am not able to go into the boot section.
  13. RalleURSwe said:
    I have tried to reasmble, I couldn't find anything diffrent like a swalen electronic cap or something like that.

well it a good thing.....

So any change after reassemble or it still the same?

also using guide by sooth1 is also a good way to probe the problems
  14. Sooth1 said:

I did, it didn't fix the problem. /:
  15. rdc85 said:
    well it a good thing.....

So any change after reassemble or it still the same?

also using guide by sooth1 is also a good way to probe the problems

I have, i think its the mobo that is bad sinne it wont give power to the CPU or start when i give it power
  16. yup u might officially fried the mobo/CPU :sweat: ..... (clear cmos no response, reassemble part no change)

The thing I can think out left is to check the cables and power button, look for short between mobo and the case... :ange:

Maybe someone else can give a suggestion...
  17. rdc85 said:
    yup u might officially fried the mobo/CPU :sweat: ..... (clear cmos no response, reassemble part no change)

The thing I can think out left is to check the cables and power button, look for short between mobo and the case... :ange:

Maybe someone else can give a suggestion...

Well I have already sended it in for a rma. I will return with a answer once I get a new mobo! :)
Ask a new question

Read More

AMD Overclocking Computer CPUs