Sign in with
Your question

Pc wont start with 8 pin connected. (after failed overclock)

Last response: in Overclocking
August 30, 2012 12:04:22 PM

Hey, as the title says. I am having some problems with my computer, it will only start with the 8pin for the CPU unconntected. I have tried with another psu but I still have the same problem. I am guessing that it's the mobo or the CPU, what could it be? :??: 
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2012 12:46:01 PM

Did you try resetting the CMOS jumper?
August 30, 2012 1:58:13 PM

Sooth1 said:
Did you try resetting the CMOS jumper?

Aha, sorry for not saying it, But yes. I did try that and it didn't work. I did also try putting out the battery for 5 min.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2012 2:23:21 PM

I would suspect the PSU. What model do you have? And which other one did you use?
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2012 2:41:59 PM

unplug all part and reasemble them (gpu and memory).

Usualy the 8p 12v is used for powering the pci-ex and extra power in processor..
check the capacitor and the mostfet around the processor (usually there a heatsink)
August 30, 2012 3:24:14 PM

Sooth1 said:
I would suspect the PSU. What model do you have? And which other one did you use?

I have a "cooler master 700w silent pro gold" and it worked in a other computer, so it doesn't feel lke that is the problem.
The other one i tried was 520w trough, same thing happened there.

system specc:
CPU: AMD phenom II 1090t (6x)
GPU: AMD HD Radeon 6950
PSU: cooler master 700w silent pro gold
Motherboard: MSI 870A-G54
August 30, 2012 3:34:18 PM

rdc85 said:
unplug all part and reasemble them (gpu and memory).

Usualy the 8p 12v is used for powering the pci-ex and extra power in processor..
check the capacitor and the mostfet around the processor (usually there a heatsink)

What should i check? if they have blowed up or are broken?
August 30, 2012 3:49:41 PM

what do you mean "after failed overclock"? you pushed it too high? you might have fried your motherboard O_O
August 30, 2012 4:30:57 PM

najirion said:
what do you mean "after failed overclock"? you pushed it too high? you might have fried your motherboard O_O

I Fo actully hope that it is the motherboard instead of the CPU.
Well, i do actully don't know if i did, the application Maybe did, i used amd overdrive for overclock, and i used " voltage boost" to. The CPU doesnt look fried at all.
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2012 4:59:15 PM

First just try to reasemble see if it helps..

I would look for burn mark in the pcb/board, swalen Electrolic cap, or cracked solid cap/mosfet, etc..
August 30, 2012 5:12:32 PM

rdc85 said:
First just try to reasemble see if it helps..

I would look for burn mark in the pcb/board, swalen Electrolic cap, or cracked solid cap/mosfet, etc..

I have tried to reasmble, I couldn't find anything diffrent like a swalen electronic cap or something like that.
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
a c 197 à CPUs
August 30, 2012 6:31:16 PM

check to see that your mb has all it bios updates.
August 30, 2012 6:59:46 PM

smorizio said:
check to see that your mb has all it bios updates.

Umm, how should i be able to check that?
i am not able to go into the boot section.
a b à CPUs
August 31, 2012 2:24:00 AM

RalleURSwe said:
I have tried to reasmble, I couldn't find anything diffrent like a swalen electronic cap or something like that.

well it a good thing.....

So any change after reassemble or it still the same?

also using guide by sooth1 is also a good way to probe the problems
August 31, 2012 5:46:07 AM

rdc85 said:
well it a good thing.....

So any change after reassemble or it still the same?

also using guide by sooth1 is also a good way to probe the problems

I have, i think its the mobo that is bad sinne it wont give power to the CPU or start when i give it power
a b à CPUs
August 31, 2012 8:16:04 AM

yup u might officially fried the mobo/CPU :sweat:  ..... (clear cmos no response, reassemble part no change)

The thing I can think out left is to check the cables and power button, look for short between mobo and the case... :ange: 

Maybe someone else can give a suggestion...
August 31, 2012 12:25:20 PM

rdc85 said:
yup u might officially fried the mobo/CPU :sweat:  ..... (clear cmos no response, reassemble part no change)

The thing I can think out left is to check the cables and power button, look for short between mobo and the case... :ange: 

Maybe someone else can give a suggestion...

Well I have already sended it in for a rma. I will return with a answer once I get a new mobo! :) 
!