How to download movies for hard drive wd to mac

i want to know how to copy movies from my hard drive wd to my mac
9 answers Last reply
More about download movies hard drive
  1. what is "wd"?

I use an external hard drive that I put all the movies on and then take over to the mac to either copy to or play from. If you dont have an external, I wouldnt recommend hooking it up to the mac internally (if you have a desktop), get a cheap external HD.
  2. Send it over your network.
  3. @Max1S

wd (Western Digital)

@sarah9

Just get some 3rd party app to make Mac OS to recognise the NTFS format. Or do what popatim says and stream the video on the network.
  4. sarah9 said:
    i want to know how to copy movies from my hard drive wd to my mac

Hi, Sir,
    What's your file system of the hard drive, if the partition on your hard drive was formated as NTFS, it could not be read by MAC OS unless use some third-party software which could make NTFS be readed in MAC ( I don't know it is free or not).

If you do not want to use third-party software, you could reformated your hard drive to FAT32 file system which could be readed both in Windows OS and MAC OS. But you should notice that fat32 file system could only support the single data which is smaller than 4GB.

Hope this could help you, best regards.
  5. Oh yeah, if you want to reformat it to fat32 on a mac, go to Applications/Ultilities/Disk Utility then click on your drive, go to the "erase" tab, and select the new name and file format "fat 32" or just "FAT," then hit erase, wait a minute, and your done.

Mac can read but not write on NTFS (windows format)

Mac and Windows can read and write on FAT32, but if you unplug the drive while its writing, you will end up with a corrupt file, which dosnt happen with NTFS and Mac OS journaled because they have some small backup file that says what it was writing, and so next time you plug it in it fixes the file from last time.

Windows cant do anything with Mac OS journaled format.

If you want to use your drive on a windows and a mac, format it to FAT32.
  6. I think exFAT is better than FAT32. FAT32 is limited to 4 GB file size.
  7. True, that does get annoying if you have HD movies on disc, or big isos.

But only mac s with snow leopard (OSX 10.6) or newer (lion/ 10.7)can use it.
  8. Hi,When your internal hard drive is almost full your PC slows down. Don't delete files. Free up space on your internal hard drive by transferring files to your WD Elements portable hard drive and get your PC moving again.
  9. ajoyth01 said:
    Hi,When your internal hard drive is almost full your PC slows down. Don't delete files. Free up space on your internal hard drive by transferring files to your WD Elements portable hard drive and get your PC moving again.

Happy first post but this thread is over 9 months old and you didnt even answer the question.
Ask a new question

Read More

DVD Drives Hard Drives Movies Download Western Digital Macintosh Storage