Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Video Editing

Last response: in Systems
January 18, 2010 5:01:08 AM

I'm new to this forum and have been searching for over a year for a solution. A while back I built a video editing system for my father in-law. At the time they had just come out with Adobe Premier Pro 2.0 and the system I built was to their optimal specs but he is actualy running Premier Pro 1.5. Now here's the reason for the post. System build: dual xeon 3.0Ghz, Asus NCCH-DL mobo, 2gb ddr400 RAM, 6800 Ultra video, 550w ps, canopus DV Storm, XP Pro OS. It renders slower than the previous system with a P4 2.6Ghz proc. and 1Gb of Ram, XP Home. Please, any addvice would be greatly appreciated. Bios, software or whatever you think it might be and sadly enough there really is no budget for a new system. This is his lively hood and I was or still am so confident it should improve his performance drastically. Please help.

More about : video editing

January 18, 2010 5:17:22 AM

Very strange. Your build *should* perform better than his previous P4 system. My only idea is that there might be a driver problem somewhere in the new system preventing it from performing how it should. Try updating or reinstalling the drivers.
m
l

Best solution

January 18, 2010 5:02:15 PM

Checking for updated drivers and reloading is a good starting point as recommended.

How does the system performance compare with the old one on other applications?

What model Xeon is it? Xeons have been around quite a while and it would not surprise me if a real old one was slower.

Did you use a new HD or completely reformat an old one before loading new OS?

Have you run the standard prime95 and memtest to confirm system stability?

After that you might run the quick and free PC testing tool at PCPitStop to see if it reveals anything.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/

If problem continues, please provide a complete list of components for old and new systems, with links to newegg for the new system. There might be some incompatibility issue with components.

You can also get software to benchmark components to try to isolate the problem - could be just one bad component - and almost any component.
Related resources
January 19, 2010 5:20:36 AM

I really appreciate the quick response.

I have tried reloading and checking for updates to no avail.

The performance with other applications is comprable.

It was a new OS HD(36Gb 10,000rpm WD Raptor).

I'm only up there every couple of weeks so it's going to take a bit of time to get back to you with what Xeon it is. At that time I will also try the testing software.

Thanks again for the quick response! I'll get back to you as soon as I can on the rest of it.

m
l
January 30, 2010 5:31:37 AM

Best answer selected by Charity Tech.
m
l
!