AMD Phenom 965 BE High Temp

vincew

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
I've been getting a constant temperature of 83 Celcius according to AMD Overdrive while using a multithreaded video converter, and this seems too high to me. I am using the stock AMD cooler and a COOLER MASTER HAF 922 chasis.

Idle temp= 53c @ 3.4GHz
Idle temp 32c @ 800MHz with AMD Cool & Quiet

Applied some Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste and checked for obstructions. I have all fans running @ max speed constantly.

Are these normal temperatures for the stock cooler, or is there perhaps something I could be doing differently to improve this? What temperatures have you experienced with the stock cooler?

loneninja

Distinguished
What rpm is your cpu fan running at? Mine ran at about 5000rpm and I was able to keep a Phenom II 940 at about 63C clocked at 3.5Ghz, but for some reason I never figured out it began running at no more than 3200rpm which caused about 67C at stock clocks of 3.0Ghz. I solved the issue by picking up a cooler master hyper 212+ and now at stock 3.0ghz I reach about 47C, and overclocked to 3.5Ghz I only hit 54C.

By the way, 83C is dangerous for your processor, max operating temp is 62C-71C depending on which Phenom II model and stepping you have.

vincew

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
Heatsink's fan is running @ 3100 RPM according to speedfan. Today I cam home from work and AVG had all 4 cores running @ 100% for at least 4-6 hours, I couldn't even open AMD Overdrive until killing a process. It was at 83c when I checked but I have a feeling it was higher, I'm going to kill AVG..

That stock cooler that comes with the 965BE should keep it cooler then that I am willing to say you need to reset the heatsink with some new thermal paste. Sometimes it just doesn't sit properly it happens to us all even us veterans that been doing this for years have to reset the heatsink sometimes.

SHANEMARINES

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

If you want your CPU status to drop and only be around 1-5% you should always check DRIVERS/FIREWALLS/ANTI-VIRUS/STARTUP PROGRAMS.

I don't even have a Anti-Virus and I'm using a stock Windows firewall on Windows 7-32bit.

I mean if your overclocking that CPU then an increase in heat is a given, but if your not overclocking I will look more into it for you and find you an answer.

Questions:

Do you have it overclocked?

Did you check your temps in your BIOS?

Did you check all the programs above?

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Fyi do not let your CPU work hard until you get this figured out. 80c+ is very unsafe.

Try re-seating like has been said, and if I was you i'd get some aftermarket cooling if overclocking that little is causing that much heat (if re-seating the heatsink doesn't help).

vincew

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010

It's always around 0-1%, the thing is that I was multithreading a video conversion to take advantage of the processor speed for quicker results.

3.4GHz is stock speed, I don't really have plans to overclock this thing at this point, especially with the heat levels.

I've resat the heatsink with some new Arctic Silver, but I'm going to try that again I guess. You're right I don't ever remember this running as hot as it has under 100% load max was around 70c before, and nothing has changed since then. Bios temperatures read the same.

I will definately be getting an aftermarket cooler for this, still trying to decide whether or not I want to install a liquid cooling system.

SHANEMARINES

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Thanks for the reply and glad to here back from you.

Well if the CPU continues you might consider you got a CPU DOA!

The fact is that each CPU whether their the same or different all of them are actully very different when it comes to the real CPU hardware.

BHAVZ108

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
hey there i have been using the AMD 965 BE for over 3 months now. i had the stock CPU cooler and the idle temp was around 28 degrees. the max temp was 65 and that was when i was really multitasking, as in i was running a virus scan, windows media player and 2 other programs i was playing COD4 on max graphics. then i had a slight lag
now that i have changed to a zalmann cooler. the max that my cpu reaches is 52degrees and the minimum that i recorded was 18 degrees which is super cool for an AMD quad core. i also suggest that you create enough airflow in the correct direction. if you have fans fighting against each other you can hinder the airflow

TRENDING THREADS