Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Diamond Radeon HD5870

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 11, 2010 9:04:38 PM

After upgrading from the ATI 48540 with a graphics index score of 7.3 To ATI's 5870 My graphics index score dropped to 6.0. Does anyone know why? Updated The Driver and catalyst.

More about : diamond radeon hd5870

Best solution

a c 217 U Graphics card
January 11, 2010 9:09:13 PM

This is because the new ATI cards all drop their clocks very low to save power and stay cool when they aren't used in 3D applications. The windows program to test your system doesn't increase the clocks to normal speeds.

If you went to unneccessary lenghts to cause them to run at normal clocks, you'll find a score of ~7.8.

You can confirm what I've said by opening up ATI Overdrive and watch the clocks stay at low speeds.
Related resources
January 11, 2010 10:45:50 PM

Is there some type of special utility need to set the clocks @ normal clock speed? Does this void your warranty?
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
January 11, 2010 10:52:05 PM

Why care about your WEI? You don't play it, what difference does it make? Test with REAL programs that you actually play. That's the best way to tell how your new card is working. (You don't use a program to set the clock speeds, it happens automatically when you launch a 3d program.)
m
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
January 11, 2010 10:52:14 PM

RivaTuner and ATI Tools both allow you to change the clocks, but the downside is they will never drop down to the lower clocks to save energy and keep heat down. However, this is how I was able to score a 7.8.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 11, 2010 10:52:44 PM

Yes, go to CCC & go into the OverDrive tab.
Pushing the card to stock/3d won't void the warranty, however I'm not sure about beyond, different AIB's have different warranties.
m
l
January 12, 2010 1:25:41 PM

Hey bystander, RivaTuner does not seem to work with my card. It does not show the gpu in the customize screen when you attempt to set fan speeds. Is there some type of guide for what you did exactly?
m
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
January 12, 2010 2:11:36 PM

ATI Tool is what I used, and it stopped working as well. I think it stopped working right after a driver update as it did work the first time I used the same card with it.
m
l
January 12, 2010 8:05:51 PM

msi afterburner works! Funny thing happened though. After taking out my ssd and reloading my os on a different drive, my wie went back up to 7.8. I'm gonna hold on to this card (for 30 days) and see if Fry's gets the 5970's in. They should have received a shippment on the 5th. So, they are waiting as well.
m
l
!