Windows 7 compatible 8 port wired router

minnesotamike

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
Are there any? The only routers that Windows 7 lists as compatible are the wireless. I want wired. I need 7 ports, so two 4-port routers would work. Thanks.

G

Just get a 4-port wireless router, disable the wireless and an 8-port network switch. I've never heard of a "Windows 7 compatible" router. TCP/IP is TCP/IP whether it's XP, Vista or 7.

minnesotamike

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
Thanks for your response. According to Windows, there are only certain routers that they "certify" for use with 7. That list is here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Browse.aspx?type=Hardware&category=Networking&subcategory=Wireless%20Routers&os=64-bit

On my current routers, I have an Uplink port for adding additional routers or switches. I don't see that on the new wireless routers. There are just the 4 ports for connecting systems. I looked on a couple Linksys router pages to see if I could hook up another router or switch and it doesn't say. On the wired routers, it states that they can be daisy chained together for additional ports.

Mike

G

There's 170 routers listed there which pretty much covers all the routers on the market. And they are not "certified", they are "compatible" with Windows 7. Just get a switch if you need more wired ports.

minnesotamike

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
So, I don't need a newer router for Windows 7? The reason I was looking was due to some file transfer problems and it was suggested that I upgrade to a new one. I have 2 older Linksys routers now that work just fine except for the file transfer to the Windows 7 system.

Mike

minnesotamike

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
Here is my problem. In this case, I am trying to transfer pictures from one of my XP systems to my Windows 7 Home Premium system over my wired network. Between the XP systems, things run fairly quick. But not with 7 involved. When I go to transfer the 47 pictures that I want, it tells me that it will take 18 minutes. And this is for only 66.7MB of data. Tell me this can get better. Being new to 7, I have no idea where to look for the problem. I tried searching Microsoft's site and the help files on my system. I just can't find a solution.

Here is some more info, and maybe some you don't need. On the Windows 7 system, I can access all the shared folders on my other systems (all XP SP3). If I go to the network map, my other systems are marked as "The following discovered devices can not be placed in the map.". I don't know if that is a problem or not. The reason I did that is because I was reading through the Microsoft site on file sharing and that was mentioned. It also mentions a program called LLTD, which may be needed on 32-bit XP systems. I tried installing that on my XP system, but it said I didn't need it.

As far as the file transfer, while sitting at my XP system, access is denied when I try to access the shared folder (for my pictures) on Windows 7. Now if I transfer them to the Users/Public/Pictures folder, it will transfer them in just over 5 minutes. Still a little slow, in my opinion, and not where I want them. Why can I transfer there and not into the folder I want them? And why is quicker to transfer while sitting at my XP system?

I have made sure that all the systems have the same workgroup name. I have also tried disconnecting the power from my modem, router, and all systems then powering each one up one at a time. That was suggested to me before. It didn't change anything.

One last thing. While starting my Windows 7 system, as soon as it was at the desktop, I tried to transfer the pictures again and the transfer took off. Almost immediately, it said that there was 20 seconds left. It was flying like I thought it should. Less then a minute into the transfer, it hit a wall and changed to about 20 minutes. Go figure. I checked my settings for the folders I want to transfer to and they are set as shared. Maybe at that point, a security program started up. I don't know. I do have a trial version of Norton's Internet Security installed. It came preloaded with the system. I was thinking of removing that and going with Avast free. I have checked any firewalls and did disable them. No difference.

Mike