P6t gets extremely hot when playing games

ginobili1

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
Hello,
I am having the exact same problem as this article:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262716-30-asus

The only difference is that I don't have a stock cooler but a Cooler Master Hyper N520 on my i7 930 CPU. The mobo is the same ASUS P6T. I know that my room is really hot but still the idle mobo temp is 51C as reported by ASUS PC Probe, and under gaming it goes over 60C in about 20 mins. I was playing NFS SHIFT the other day and my temps rose to about 60C in less than half hour.

Please help me in resolving this, the case that I have is: Ultra m923 with two 120mm fans at front (intake), one on top and back (exhaust).

Thanks in advance!

So, are you having any issues? Blue screens, lockups, slowdowns? If not, then I don't see any problem. About the only thing I would do if you think it is running a little warm, take the heatsink off, clean it, reapply new thermal paste in the correct amount, and remount the heatsink. See what that does.

ginobili1

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
I was getting freezing hangs some time ago, but they were very intermittent. Could have been the VGA driver as well. Also the thing is that I stop playing games anyways when I see the temp go crazy, so I have never actually tried pushing the system when the temps are high!

Plus, if I take the NB heat sink and do the process that you state, wouldn't that void the ASUS mobo warranty?

Thanks.

ginobili1

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
Added another fan on top of the NB heat sink blowing air onto that and the temps are 10C lower. Now they hover around low 40s. But the games still stutter sometimes but the temps stay low around low 50s now when playing games. If I turn the fans to max (my case has a fan controller Ultra m923) then the games stop stuttering and everything seems to be fine. Seems like a heat issue to me... well so far this works! Anyone with a better suggestion is most welcome...

Thanks for your suggestions!

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
If you push your system, the temperature may go up to a certain value at which point it will reach a thermal balance and stabilize. It will not go up any higher. So you should not worry.

If your motherboard BIOS allows, you should set your shutdown temperatures at 70 or 80 deg C and see what happens.

adaman2576

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009

I have that same p6t board. What kind of fan did you get for your northbridge? Was it a 40mm that screws into the holes on the northbridge? If so what kind and how loud is it?

ginobili1

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
I got a 40mm for the NB and another much smaller one (don't know the size) which goes on the heat sink on the back of CPU (near the I/O connetors). This fan faces my PSU which throws air into the PSU which already intakes. The 40mm I just taped on my GPU and the support from the CPU to throw air onto the NB.