My old PC won't turn on. I think it may be power supply related.

tuesday0180

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
It's one of those old E-Machines with a Intel Celeron Processor. It was working fine before, but the other day it just stopped working.

When I press the power button nothing happens. I opened it up and took out the motherboard battery and put it back in to reset it. Nothing.

I think it may be the power supply, but when I plug the cord into the power supply there is a little green light on the motherboard that lights up.

Is this a power supply issue? If it is, then why does that little green light on my motherboard light up when I plug in the power cord? If it isn't a power supply issue, what can it be?

Thanks in advance.

Zinosys

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
tuesday, I really don't want to hijack your thread, but I'll say that you can go into the BIOS and enable speedstep. That will throttle the CPU. The only problem is I don't know if the P4s support it.

...And getting the model might help. What's the wattage on the PSU BTW?

tuesday0180

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Hey guys the E machines is old. I don't know the exact model number, but it uses an Intel Celeron chip. Iknow this because it has an Intel Celeron sticker in the front.

I just tried the computer again and this time when I plug the cord into the power supply the fan turns on and keeps spinning really really fast at full speed. When I press the power button nothing happens.

I haven't made any hardware upgrades to this pc. Infact I haven't even used it myself. I was just told by a family member two days ago that it stopped turning on.

tuesday0180

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Oh and the motherboard also uses those old serial connectors. You know, those large flat wires that attaches the hard drive to the motherboard. It even uses the old power supplies that have the white end connectors.

I think I may just go out and purchase a discount power supply and see if that fixes it. I know discount power supplies tend to suck, but this pc isn't worth spending much money on. Plus it's only used for word typing and internet browsing anyways.

Zinosys

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
Eh, well it's celeron, so it must be ATX. Can you find any sticker with a number on the side or back of the case? Perhaps (although unlikely) underneath the case?

And by Serial connectors, I think you mean IDE/ATA. Which case, (because I can't resist) is a parallel connection. SATA is serial. :|

Well, that can't be too bad. A good power supply would be this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371033

You can't go wrong with that. 80 plus bronze, active PFC, and a good name.

shovenose

Distinguished
OP: please look at that computer and give us the model number. it should be on the front, on a sticker on the back, or somewhere else.
we can better advise you when we actually know something about the computer besides that its an emachines with a celeron cpu.

Zinosys

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
Its modular and OCZ is a better brand. They own PC power and cooling now, and their PSUs are the same. The only difference is that mine is marginally more efficient, and is cheaper if you don't want to deal with rebates. His also looks cooler and has "Fatal1ty" written all over it.

But then again, you can always take mine, whip out a magic marker, and scrawl "EXTREEM EDISHUN" over it. xD

But if I were you, I'd take the OCZ. Even after the computer dies, there is a good chance the PSU is still working and it will be of use somewhere else. It's more future-proof, and for the same price (after rebate), it should serve you well.

Cheers.

Zinosys

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
Rule of thumb: any cheap power supply is bad. End of story. You might get some use out of it (at less than half it's rated spec), which is why you can find 700w PSUs for $30 at fry's, but will it work? probably not. Is it efficient? Nope.

I had a cheap PSU in a box, and I found out (the hard way) it was putting out 16V on the 12V rail. Poor board.

Well, I learned my lesson. Don't make the same mistake I did! Invest in a quality PSU!

tuesday0180

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009

Hey thats great. The price of that psu after mail in rebate works for me. I don't think those plugs will work for me though because the plugs I need are those old 4 pin white ones. Would I be able to buy this PSU and buy some plug converters to conver those thin black plugs into old 4pin white ones? Is that safe?