How do i get 1333 ram to work on MSI G41M-P28

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Overclocking the memory is quite easy, but the way you asked the question makes you sound pretty green. I mean no offense by this, I just want to know your comfort level before giving you advice so I know how detailed I need to be.

This system only supports two memory slots with up to 4GB each. If you purchased new RAM recently it is probably fast enough to support higher frequency's but if your running with the original ram, you would probably need to replace it first.

If you are wanting to learn how to do this even though it could potentially damage your system (albeit the risk is low), and you replaced your ram with at least pc-1333 recently, then let me know and I will do what I can to help you.

kappsta87

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012

Yea im new to overclocking, i have Kingston ram 4gb 1333 MHz installed but the board i have it with states the 1333 MHz (oc) so i am guessing currently that my ram is only running at 1066 MHz so im trying to figure out how to get it to run at 1333 MHz

thanks for your help.

donsrbin

Honorable
May 21, 2012

I have the same problem, and I'm interested in overclocking it. Would you mind sharing your knowledge with us? :)

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Wow, I missed a thread months ago. Sorry for not keeping track. For running your memory at higher speeds you will need to access your BIOS and select higher timings.

These instructions are specifically for the MSI G41 motherboard, the steps will be very similar for other BIOS's though

Power down the computer and wait a little bit for everything to settle. Power on the computer and press the "del" key repeatedly to access the BIOS. Once in the BIOS you can only navigate with the keyboard arrow keys, select "Cell Menu" (top right corner) and press enter.

Navigate to "Advanced DRAM Configuration" and press enter, select "Manual" and press enter. Modify "FSB/DRAM Ratio" until "Adjusted DRAM Frequency(Mhz)" is 1333, modify CAS and other settings according to your memory manufacturers specifications. Press Esc a bunch then select save and exit when prompted. The computer will reboot.

Congratulations you are now running at 1333 mhz memory. If the system does not reboot, you will need to manually trigger the BIOS reset jumper on the motherboard. This is in a different location on each revision so check your manual and locate this first.

kappsta87

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012

I have Kingston ram and it didn't come with a spec book and the place i bought it from just said they just sell the ram any idea's?

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010

This BIOS should have the model # of your RAM, take that model and look up the memory specs online.

What you are primarily looking for is the 1333 timing it will look something like 9-9-9-24

In order those numbers correspond to CL - tRCD - tRP - CAS settings.

itorres008

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014
kappsta87,

Even if this is an old thread, it would help me to know the exact model number you used here or subsequently after that. I have an MSI G41M-P26 and tried two different DIMMs without success. MSI limits their advice to telling me to find one of only two models on their tested list, but if you have a DIMM that worked, it will be another option for me to find.

Thanks.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
there are many memory finder's from Corsair, Kingston Etc.. that will find the ram for your system.
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/memory-finder

Alternatively you can continue to play the memory roulette, but play it well informed. if you look at the silicone chips themselves, they will have a manufacturer listed. (Hynix in this link)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:4GB_DDR3_SO-DIMM.jpg

pay attention to if your existing dimm's are double or single sided.

As long as you buy the same chip manufacturer and density you should be fine.