Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Low Gaming Graphics Experience Index - WHY?!?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 11, 2010 11:15:15 PM

This is my performance score. This doesn't make sense. I have a NVIDIA GTX 260 - 896mb overclocked GPU in my system and was expecting a much higher score.
I have an i7 920 Processor
6GB ram
Windows 7 64bit

I don't understand why my score is so low for my graphics card. I went with my dad to Frys and bought a $19 MSI 256mb graphics card for my dad and his score is significantly higher than this card... Do I have a setting wrong or something?

Any help would be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks
a c 216 U Graphics card
January 11, 2010 11:22:23 PM

I do not know if the GTX260 has relaxed clock settings when not being used in 3D programs, but many of the new ATI cards do. If they do, it's likely it's just not increasing the clocks to normal 3d graphics settings during the test, in the same way the new ATI don't.

If the 260 doesn't have these relaxed settings, then I suspect you don't have your drivers intalled correctly, or you did not disable an integrated graphics processor.
Score
a c 216 U Graphics card
January 11, 2010 11:28:19 PM

I would suggest you download and run 3dmark06 or 3dmark Vantage and post your score. The windows test is really incomplete.
Score
Related resources
a c 358 U Graphics card
January 12, 2010 12:01:13 AM

Microsoft's Gaming Graphics Experience Index = Lame & Laughable

Generally should be ignored.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 12, 2010 12:41:32 AM

phigmetn said:
I went with my dad to Frys and bought a $19 MSI 256mb graphics card...

What kind of card can be bought for $19???
Score
January 12, 2010 12:53:27 AM

jaguarskx - while that migh be true, it's still based on something...they are not completely random number. I'm trying to figure out how it's based, it might indicate something wrong with my settings...

Here's my score - http://service.futuremark.com/home.action?resultId=1780...

How does this help?
Score
a c 216 U Graphics card
January 12, 2010 12:56:15 AM

phigmetn said:
jaguarskx - while that migh be true, it's still based on something...they are not completely random number. I'm trying to figure out how it's based, it might indicate something wrong with my settings...

Here's my score - http://service.futuremark.com/home.action?resultId=1780...

How does this help?

This helps, because we know now that there IS indeed something wrong with your system. A GTX 260 should definately perform better.

Check to make sure your drivers are installed correctly.
Score
January 12, 2010 2:14:26 AM

Bystander,

Thanks for the response. As you suggested I checked the drivers and noticed I didn't have the latest and greatest. I update them and re-ran the windows experience index. My numbers actually dropped!!!!

Take a look:

This was obviously super annoying. Your other suggestion was that maybe I hadn't disabled my onboard graphics processor. Through windows it wasn't showing up, so I went into the bios. I didn't see an option for it, but I did notice that my slot was set by default to PCI not PCIx or e or whatever. I changed that...

Reran the test and voila!... Ill post the 3D mark test after it runs. Now all I need is an SSD drive and I will b complete.

Score
a c 216 U Graphics card
January 12, 2010 2:30:09 AM

It's certainly better, but I might expect a bit higher with your system spec's, but I could be wrong.

I'd also check to make sure you are running at PCIe x16 or at least x8.
Score
a c 216 U Graphics card
January 12, 2010 2:34:09 AM

Maybe someone else has a better idea on what sort of graphics score to expect with a 260, but that definately looks a lot better.
Score
!