Sign in with
Your question

Memory issue

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
August 15, 2010 1:25:03 PM

Hi hope someone can help. I cannot run pc with more than 2gb mem. If anymore goes in then comp will not boot.
I think it maybe voltage issue as all memory works fine.
BIOS settings are at default.

ga-ep31-ds3l rev 2.1
intel core 2 quad q6600
gainward hd3850
antec basiq 500w
hynix 1gb pc2-5300e-555-12

Thanks
Alan

More about : memory issue

a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
August 15, 2010 1:41:03 PM

Are you using Dual sided Modules ?? From looking at your MOBO manual it only supports single sided modules if using all of the sockets.

Quote:
Due to chipset limitation, read the following guidelines before installing the memory in Dual Channel mode.
1. Dual Channel mode cannot be enabled if only one DDR2 memory module is installed.
2. When enabling Dual Channel mode with two or four memory modules, it is recommended that
memory of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used and installed according to the
configurations in the first table for optimum performance.
3. Because of chipset limitations, do not populate both DIMM sockets of the same channel
(e.g. DDR2_1 and DDR2_2) with double-sided memory modules to prevent system's failure to
start or incorrect detection of memory modules.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
August 15, 2010 2:08:40 PM

i didn't think they were. how can you tell? i have googled ram modules but no mention of dual sidedness. they DO have chips both sides so....
Related resources
a c 347 } Memory
a c 716 V Motherboard
August 16, 2010 2:16:37 PM

My suggestion is to read the information below and or to replace your memory.

GA Preferred list - http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/motherboard...

Compatible Crucial list - http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=GA-EP...(rev.%202.0)

Direct quote from GA:
http://gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2964...
"4 x 1.8V DDR2 DIMM sockets supporting up to 4 GB of system memory
Dual channel memory architecture
Support for DDR2 1066/800/667 MHz memory modules
Because of chipset limitations
*To avoid the system being unable to start or the memory being incorrectly detected, if only one memory module is to be installed, we suggest that you install it on the DDR2_1 or DDR2_3 socket.
*To install two memory modules, we suggest that you install them on the DDR2_1 and DDR2_3 sockets, when the DDR2_2 or DDR2_4 socket is populated with a DDR2 1066 MHz memory module, the memory speed will be downgraded to 800 MHz).
*when using FSB 1333 MHz CPU with populating all DIMM sockets, memory frequency will be reduced from the original, and system instability or incorrect detection of memory module may be occur.
(Please refer "Memory Support List" for memory support information)"

Good Luck!
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
August 16, 2010 2:37:47 PM

Seems that your MOBO chipset only supports dual sided modules if you limit them to 1 socket on each set of sockets -- the memory controller that it is using will work with dual sided modules but using them makes each side of the module use half of the interface so you can not use both sockets for that set. (as that would require 4 interconects and that MOBO only has 2) -- So to use 4 GB. of RAM you would need 2 x 2gb. and place 1 in each set of sockets not both in 1 set and leave the other 2 empty --- or another alternative would be to buy 4x1GB modules that are single sided modules if you can find them.

It looks like right now you are trying to use 4x1GB dual sided modules and as such the chipset can not work (it will either just find 2GB of the installed 4 or will not function) -- your choices would be to either remove 2 1GB. modules and thus use 1 DIMM per set yielding 2GB. or replace the modules with either 4x1GB. single sided Dimms or 2x2GB dual sided using 1 in each set of sockets leaving the other 2 empty. --- OR replace the MOBO with one that supports dual sided modules and use the 4x1GB. modules that you already have !!
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
August 17, 2010 7:56:55 PM

Thanks for your reply. Yes I understand where I am going wrong now and will get some new memory. They do like to make it complicated for us don't they!

Thanks again.

Alan
!