Need advice to build system for virtualisation purose

johnsmith2020

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
Hi, I am a student and learning MCSA course.
I have a laptop with Core2duo 2Ghz with 2 gb ram. When I use virtual machines on it it gets hot and end up with Blue screen error. So I have decided to build custom desktop.
I want to use it mostly for Virtualisation and Gaming purpose.
I have read that AMD processors are good in Virtualisation and Gaming. So I want to build system having AMD Quad core or any other high end processor with 4 or 8 gb DDR3 RAM with good graphics card and with 1TB harddrive.
Pls advise the good configuration which suits my needs. I don't have good knowledge about hardware.
Thanks in advance

Solution
i7 920
Mobo - MSI X58 Pro-E
ASRock X58 Extreme
You can add 12GB of RAM to these mobos...

Gigabyte GA-EX58UD3R - But this just supports 6GB of RAM...though you can add more RAM but populating the 4th slot will make you loose Tri- Channel config...

And if you wont be overclocking more than 3GHz, then you wont need to add any aftermarket CPU cooler...

johnsmith2020

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
Below are the details

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This month

BUDGET RANGE: $450-600 (20,000 Rs.- 25,000Rs. Rs.=Rupees is currency in India), Budget can be extended

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Most important application VMware, virtualbox and high graphics Games to least important web-surfing

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, speakers,

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: INDIA

PARTS PREFERENCES: processor which have best performance in area of virtualisation and highend graphics, DDR3 RAM, 1 TB harddisk

OVERCLOCKING: may be required

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1600x1200 or 1920x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Required other things to keep system stable for high performance like battery backup, cooling system.

johnsmith2020

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
If my budget is not sufficient, right now I will buy the high end motherboard and processor. This will be mine long term investment but in near future I will upgrade the system so system performance can meet my requirement. For the time being I can use my old monitor. My aim is to buy a good motherboard and processor. other parts like RAM, Hard disk i can upgrade them as per my need. But upgrading motherboard and processor is to much costly so right now I am concentrating to buy high end motherboard and processor so there will be no need to upgrade them in neare future. Pls suggest me which mother board and processor will be suitable for me for virtualisation and I should be able to upgrade the RAM upto 8 GB or more.

Thanks in advance

^
Cheaper options -
CPU - AMD Athlon X4 620
Mobo - GIGABYTE MA78GMT-UD2H - Supports DDR3 and 125W TDP CPUs...So should be able to support more powerful CPUs later on...

But if you want to go high-end -
i5 750 + Gigabyte UD2 - but these both alone would cost about INR 16k...

^ i5 750 is faster than the fastest Phenom II(965) and the i7 860 would cost INR 6K more than the i5...
and again if you are asking about i7 920, then even the mobo cost would be high - INR 10k+...So for CPU + Mobo alone you would have to spend INR 25K

johnsmith2020

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
that means with i7 and mobo it will cost INR 25k, right? I am ok with it. I will use other things like monitor, hard drive from my friend. Pls tell me individual cost and model no of mobo and i7. So I can go in market and check it out whether it is available in the indian market or not otherwise I will have to check other options. Also tell me about extended cooling system. Is it necessary to buy any other diff cooling system if I am going to use such high end processor? Also how much RAM I can apply on this kind of motherboard?

i7 920
Mobo - MSI X58 Pro-E
ASRock X58 Extreme
You can add 12GB of RAM to these mobos...

Gigabyte GA-EX58UD3R - But this just supports 6GB of RAM...though you can add more RAM but populating the 4th slot will make you loose Tri- Channel config...

And if you wont be overclocking more than 3GHz, then you wont need to add any aftermarket CPU cooler...

Solution

johnsmith2020

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
What do you think about the configuration at the following url
Untitled374.jpg

Look at the mobo and processor configuration mainly.

Thanks in advance. :wahoo:

johnsmith2020

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010

And what if I apply more than 6GB RAM on Mobo - MSI X58 Pro-E will I loose Tri-Channel config? Forgive if this question does not make any sense as I dont know much about this technology. Also tell me how to populate 4th slot on Gigabyte mobo?

You would have to add RAM in sets of 3 - 3x2GB kits or 6x 2GB kits or 3x2GB + 3x 1GB kits...then you wont loose tri-channel...
And as for that Gigabyte board, there is no other way of populating the 4th slot...If you add RAM there you will loose Tri-channel...but it would matter much in apps that require high bandwidth...

johnsmith2020

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
Hey one more question about Mobo - MSI X58 Pro-E .

I read that motherboard set some limitation so processor can not be overclocked. Does the above suggested mobo will allow me in future to overclock the i7? Possibaly I may use overclocking.

johnsmith2020

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
yesterday I read something about dell desktop in the reply of any member's question. The member who was answering mentioned that "Dell motherboard are not good overclocker, they set limitation with the help of bios".

While googling I also read that manufacturer of mobo are also designing their products so they can not get overclocked.
Look at the following link http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2124

johnsmith2020

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
ok that means in simple words if we buy the retail boards we can decently overclock the processor and if it is OEM board like branded computer then it might be difficult to overclock the processor, Right? :bounce: :D

Thnaks again for this new info!!!! :sol: