Unsure of temps after first build.

Maneens

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
So I finished my first build (HAF X, 3570k, Noctua DH-N14, AsRock Z77 Extreme4) and I'm not sure if my temps are as low as they should be. This was my first time ever assembling a PC and first time applying an aftermarket cooler/thermal compound (somewhat nervewracking!)

Anyway, on bootup the BIOS temps are around ~34C while idling. Is this average for this cooler? I was hoping to see something like 28-30 for idle temps and am thinking maybe I should reseat the heatsink? It's usually about 22-25C in my room.

Also if it makes a difference I used the thermal compound that was included with the NH-D14 (NT-H1), I actually had ordered a tube of MX-4 but it was missing from my package when I received the shipment. I also used the suggested pea method in the center and just let the weight/force of the heatsink do the spreading (after doing some reading it seemed like pre-spreading it just leads to the formation of air bubbles which is no bueno).

Thanks in advance for the help.

EDIT: I have yet to OC, want to let it sit for a week or so and make sure temps are acceptable before I attempt to OC.