Radeon 7970 GHZ edition waterblock

mimi93

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
Hello.

I want to watercool the Radeon 7970 GHZ edition by GIGABYTE but I cant seem to find the card in cooling configurator. After looking around I am assuming that this card is probably not reference design.

Can anyone recommend me a universal block and heatsinks to use on this card? I am looking for a quality performance waterblock that I could use for a few builds. If I am an idiot and it turns out the card is a reference design can anyone point me to a fullcover?

Thanks in advance

Solution
I acquired the GIGABYTE GV-R797TO-3GD Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB and I can conclude that the Swiftech Komodo HD7970 series is not compatible with this card. Please check the images below for the diagram pics. Even on Swiftech web site compatibility chart it says it is. It may be compatible with Rev1.0 of that card but definitely not with Rev2.1.
3rd pics is my current rig bypassing the video card with a pair of koolance quick connect until I can find a waterblock for the GV-R797TO-3GD Rev2.1. Koolance is my next try.

Modelnumber.jpg

Diagram.jpg

IMG_20121012_224239.jpg

scopey86

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
It's honestly hard to tell. But from what I understand:

Gigabyte GV-R797TO-3GD is in fact a refreshed model of GV-R797OC-3GD. Changes are narrowed only to the new features coming with the ‘new’ Tahiti XT2 GPU. Model has a base clock of 1100 MHz and effective memory clock of 6000 MHz (that’s 100MHz and 500 MHz more than non-GHz model respectively).

(http://videocardz.com/33890/gigabyte-launches-radeon-hd-7970-ghz-edition-with-windforce-3x-cooling).

So most likely the PCB design is the same as the old one, so you could use that and check if that one is supported on cooling configurator (which I believe it is). To be extra safe, however, I'd take off the heatsink and take a photo of the PCB and mail it to the guys at EK (cooling configurator) and ask them to double check. Also you could visually compare it yourself to reference PCBs for the 7970 online.

mimi93

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
Great advice but the problem is I havint purchased it yet. I want to get all my parts together and make sure everything works before I drain my wallet. I guess I didint specify but the card doesent have to be by Gigabyte im just looking to watercool a 7970 GHz edition.

scopey86

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Then just do some searches online for some commonly used cards, or just look at the ones listed on coolingconfigurator.com and assume they are all reference cards (I don't know of any waterblocks EK makes for only one specific card's PCB only) and that you can use them with any 7970 waterblock.

poloasis

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012
I acquired the GIGABYTE GV-R797TO-3GD Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB and I can conclude that the Swiftech Komodo HD7970 series is not compatible with this card. Please check the images below for the diagram pics. Even on Swiftech web site compatibility chart it says it is. It may be compatible with Rev1.0 of that card but definitely not with Rev2.1.
3rd pics is my current rig bypassing the video card with a pair of koolance quick connect until I can find a waterblock for the GV-R797TO-3GD Rev2.1. Koolance is my next try.

Modelnumber.jpg

Diagram.jpg

IMG_20121012_224239.jpg

I've been in contact with Swiftech tech support for days now and there saying that is compatible with this revision, it is my mistake, I had to film it for them to prove that it wasn't.

Solution

poloasis

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012
I don't know if there is a design flaw with that particular block I received, when the 4x GPU screws are aligned with the waterblock inverted as explained above on the 2nd picture, the capacitors from the video card do not align with their respective compartment on the block, it looks like everything is shift on one side a couple millimeter. Swiftech Tech support didn't want to believe me and offered me to send the card and block to them so they can install it professionally for me! As you can see this my 7th watercooled rig in the last 12 years, I kind a know what I'm doing. I filmed it for them for proof. I recently sent it back to Frozen CPU and exchange it with the Kollance 7970 series to see if I get lucky.
To sum up the GHz Edition are not reference design from my point of view or at least for that Gigabyte model.

scopey86

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
That's very weird, let us know if the koolance one fits. What's more interesting is either someone from EK saw this thread or they finally got around to changing it but now that card is listed and is lasted as not compatible.

poloasis

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012
I've received an email from Switftech tech supp last night stating their apology, upon looking more carefully my diagram picture about the GV-R797TO-3GD that it was in fact incompatible with the Komodo HD7970 waterblock and it will be removed from the incompatibility list on their site and off course I wasn't doing the install wrong "lol".
My next try will be with the Koolance and see, I'll post result soon.

jacknhut

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010

That 7970 Ghz edition board layout is not the reference design so most of the block won't fit unless they are specifically designed for the gigabyte card.

schuebrew

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
Did you ever find out if the Koolance block works?
I'm currently in the same pickle, wanting to get the gigabyte 7970 board, but not sure if my Koolance block that I already ordered will fit....
Found this guy that modified his rev2.1 board to make the Koolance block fit (http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1039365395), but makes no reference if the MOSFETs make contact or not and no pictures to show the side view of the block versus the board...

poloasis

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012

I've spoken with Koolance Tech support and they said their block will only fir AMD reference card. I didn't bother buying it. I'm still on air with everything else watered lol.

I'll check that link about making mod to the block. Thanks.

mrfx2u

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
Hi

i can also support that the new xs-pc full cover water blocks do not support these cards also, i think us ghz edition holders are hard out of luck. due to the fact of the smd's components on the boards which are slightly in different positions, compared to the standard boards, nothing out there today supports it, and i don't think there ever will be.