RAID setup with WD disk TLER disable

octopus77

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
Hello:
I found this thread:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/message.php?config=tomshardwareuk.inc&cat=13&post=269867&page=1&p=1&subcat=322&sondage=0&owntopic=0&new=0
when facing the same problem as many of you, want to set up a raid 1 config with windows 7 allready installed, and i found the solution given here by " Ultimaswc3" to work like a charm, THANK YOU!!!.
But now i´m concerned about the TLER thing you pointed out.
I have 2 WD black caviar 1TB disk just bougth, so i tried the TLER utility just to find out that is disable as pointed here :(.
So, do i just try to return the drives and buy another brand, will seagate for example be fine? i want to do a simple raid 1 setup with 2 disks, would this be a problem if i don´t have TLER enabled? Also i´m using the MOBO controller (asus p6t deluxe v2) not a raid card.
Thank you in advance

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
All of the desktop version HDD's face this same issue. With Samsung it's CCTL, and Seagate it's ERC.

The solution is to go with the enterprise RAID supported drives, or rebuild your array every time the hdd runs into a bad sector.

octopus77

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
I see, i had two maxtor disk in a RAID 1 setud in my las system, it runs perfectly after 3 years until i decided to upgrade now. I wonder why new disk create conflict with this, when before this wasn´t a problem, guess the complanys are tryng to cash a little extra.

Thank you for your time

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
It's not the hdd's. It's win7 and the way it forces hdd's to handle exceptions. It forces them to go into a deep clean cycle to try to correct the issue. This cycle can last 20-30 seconds. After about 7-8 seconds the raid controller (ICH10R) detects a non-responsive drive as defective and drops it from the array. The enterprise disks combat this with timing controls.

schneid

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010

I tried to this about the same time as your post. Intel DX58SO MB, i7-920, 4 GB RAM, Win 7 Ultimate, and two 1TB Blacks in RAID1. Disaster. Finally learned WD had begun disabling TLER in firmware in late 2009. Although my drives came from the same OEM egg crate one was dated Oct and the other Nov. I could TLER the Oct drive but not the Nov one. Had two ditch them and drop !20 more for two RE's. RAID1 works fine now.