Frequency44

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Hey guys,

I want to create a RAID from my 4x2TB Samsung HDDs. Since I don't like the idea of data loss due to a single drive failure, Raid 0 is not an option.

I'm trying to decide between Raid 5 and Raid 10.

Performance bechmarks will show this behaviour:

Raid 10:

- Decent Write Performance (~170MB/s)
- Decent Read Performance (~180MB/s)
- Only 50% Capacity (4TB)

Raid 5:

- Higher Write Performance with write-back caching enabled (~220MB/s)
- Higher Read Performance (~240MB/s)
- Higher Capacity (6TB)
- Poor Write Performance with write-back caching disabled (~35MB/s)

Basically, Raid 5 with write-back caching enabled seems to be to best option for my purpose (Home PC). However the big downside of write-back caching is that in case of a power loss, data might become corrupted. This wouldn't be too much of a problem though, since I'm about to get an overvoltage protection anyway, while this is easily to be combined with a UPS.

Now the big questions are:

What happens to a Raid 5 with write-back caching enabled if I get a BSOD or any other kind of improper shutdowns? Any data loss/corruption?
Without a UPS, assuming there was still data to be written to the HDDs from the cache, can one tell by any chance how critical the according data loss would be - would it only affect the data I (as user) was writing to the disks or could it as well be way more (misc system subroutines trying to index/defrag/whatever) at this point in time?

Thank you for your time reading this.

Any thoughts on this?

RAID 5 or not, I never implement write-back caching on a system that isn't protected by a UPS. A data loss is very likely to occur if there's a power failure. A data loss while applying an OS update might not be good. Since a RAID isn't a backup, all important data should be backed up to an external drive or online.

Frequency44

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

I agree with you on that one. As additional information, my OS is operating from a separate 120GB SSD.

However the most important question for me is: what happens during an improper shutdown (while still being supplied with power)? Will the cached data be written to the disks or will it be lost?

Thanks in advance.

It will be lost.

Frequency44

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

Thanks for your reply. Any other opinions? Seems a bit pointless to me to get a UPS when a BSOD will just corrupt your data as well :/

Frequency44

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
So you would not hesitate to make the integrity of all your files dependent on the stability of your system, meaning you're 100% sure your system won't ever crash. I honestly doubt that ;P

I don't use write-back caching for OS drives and all my systems are on a UPS. Unlike when a power failure occurs (you have a high percentage of data loss), the system has time to write data if you get a BSOD. I'm more worried about power failures than BSODs. Only one system had several BSODs last year and it didn't cause any data loss (the issue was caused by a bad router, not the system itself).

Frequency44

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

Cheers mate, that was the answer I was looking for.

Greetings