rogerther

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
Hello all.

I would like some advice on a mobo for htpc that I want to assemble.
What I would like is something that include graphic card, sound card, lan card (if possible wireless).
I will use it to connect to a led tv (the tv has a vga and hdmi ports) and I will use it to watch movies, tv and play some not graphic intensive games(SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT).
I will probable only connect a tv card (have to choose one so if you have good tips they are also welcome) and if necessary the wireless card and I'm trying to minimize space but that's not a important factor(miniatx is better then atx for me... but if there is a good atx motherboard I will take it).
I'm looking for good deals like the smallest price for the best hardware... nothing expensive nor too cheap... (maybe aroud 150 USD less is better : ) ) I believe AMD is the best choice for quality/low price option...

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Anything. I will source from local sites or stores anyway so I don't mind.
OVERCLOCKING: No

Thanks all for any advice!

Do you want a full build, or just the motherboard? If it's just the board, we need to know what CPU you're considering, or at least the socket (AM3, AM2, etc). I know you said you'd prefer mATX, but that's really going to limit your options. We need to know if mATX is a preference or if you already have a case that will only use mATX. If you want help for the full build, we need the entire budget.

A few general notes. A terminology thing first: if it's included on the board, they're not cards. They're just onboard graphics, sound and LAN. All boards today will have some kind of onboard sound and LAN. A few will have graphics. None that I know of will have wireless built in. For that, you'll need to buy either an internal wireless card or an external reciever.

Assuming an AM3 CPU, and ATX case, a good board with onboard graphics, HDMI output is the Asus M4A785TD-V EVO. It's about $90.

A good AM3, mATX board is the Asus M4A785TD-M EVO. It's about $95.

rogerther

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
thanks MadAdmiral for the quick reply!
Do you want a full build, or just the motherboard? If it's just the board, we need to know what CPU you're considering, or at least the socket
Just the motherboard. I will choose the processor based on the motherboard since I believe most processor can deal well with video processing. Don't know if this is the best approach though...

I know you said you'd prefer mATX, but that's really going to limit your options.
I didn't knew that mATX would limit the options so much... But then again it can be a ATX case since I don't have the case yet.

I don't have a fixed budget but something like 400/500 USD

And once again thanks for all the replys.

Generally, you do the reverse. But given your full budget, you're pretty much stuck on an AM3 CPU. I didn't know if this was a build using older parts, as HTPCs don't need much processing power.

mATX doesn't limit boards to an extreme manner, but it does limit it. Looking for a mATX only case does limit those options. Keep in mind that true HTPC cases are quite expensive. My current build is mostly an HTPC for now, and I absolutely hated the HTPC cases, as you could find better, elegant looking regular cases for much less cash.

Either of those boards would be good, regardless of the case size.

rogerther

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
Well, after some research I will probably buy the following configuration:

mATX board is the Asus M4A785TD-M EVO - 71,90 €

AMD Sempron 140 - 2,7 GHz - 31,90 €

OCZ Platinum Low Voltage 2 x 2 GB DDR3-1333 PC3-10666 (OCZ3P1333LV4GK) - 99.90€

I went to OCZ page to see the ram specifications and they say that this ram was designed specifically for the Intel P55 Chipset . Will this ram work in this configuration?

rogerther

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
Adding a hard drive, the final system is:

Asus M4A785TD-M EVO - 71,90 €

AMD Sempron 140 - 2,7 GHz - 31,90 €

OCZ Platinum Low Voltage 2 x 2 GB DDR3-1333 PC3-10666 (OCZ3P1333LV4GK) - 99.90€

SAMSUNG SpinPoint F3 HD103SJ - 1 TB 77 €

Total: 280.7 Euros. Not bad I guess. Just need to find a nice case... but my wife will choose it ; )

Any thoughts on this:
I went to OCZ page to see the ram specifications and they say that this ram was designed specifically for the Intel P55 Chipset . Will this ram work in this configuration?

Dougie Fresh

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
The best way to check RAM compatibility is to go to the ASUS website and look up the motherboard you want to buy. They have a link to a document with all the RAM they've tested right there on the product page.

TRENDING THREADS