Sign in with
Your question

Need Help Choosing Cooling in 650D

Last response: in Overclocking
August 31, 2012 1:21:11 AM

I am going to change my case from the Antec 1200 to the Corsair 650D and would like to know some good liquid cooling setups. I have the Swiftech 240mm kit and am adding more cooling because my GPU and CPU run a little hot.

My Setup i was thinking in 650D-

Put the Swiftech 240mm up top. Then a slim 120mm rad in the back. Then if necessary a 200mm Phobya extreme rad up front.

I was wondering if anyone has any good ideas for placement. I saw a 240mm rad on the bottom of the case with some modding.

Swiftech 240mm-> CPU -> 120mm -> GPU -> 200mm -> 240mm

Or maybe-

Swiftech 240mm-> CPU -> 120mm -> GPU -> 240mm -> 240mm

Or just-

Swiftech 240mm-> CPU -> 120mm -> GPU -> 240mm

Also does the 650D have a 240mm mounting spots on the hardrive cages or is that just the 400R? I could put a 240mm rad there if that is in the case.

I am changing cases so i have room to mount all the cooling inside the case with low noise. I am using Primochill white tubing, compression fittings, and distilled water with a kill coil.

My full computer specs are as follow-

Antec 1200
i7-2600k OC 4.2Ghz
GTX 580
Corsair ATX 850w
Gigabyte UD3H-B3 Z68 Mobo
Kingston Hyper X 128GB SSD
WD 1TB 7200rpm HDD

More about : choosing cooling 650d

August 31, 2012 6:14:53 AM

I am kinda in the same boat as you. Just got my 650D but still waiting on water cooling parts to arrive. I remember reading somewhere over on OCN that some guy put a 200mm in the front of his 650d and it made it hard for his other 240mm and 120mm radiators to work effectively due to all that hot air from the front intake, so you may have to experiment with airflow directions if you go that route. I've also seen someone mount a 240mm upright in the middle with an XSPC radiator stand, didn't look too bad.
m
l
August 31, 2012 2:37:36 PM

i'm running a 360 on top and for now a 240 sideways at the front held in there nicely by velcro. The problem is when i put the sidepanel on the radiator is not getting any air from the outside so i have 2 options. Cut a hole in the bottom bay to have it standing up or mod a hole in the sidepanel so that rad is getting some cool air. I think i will be just cut on one of the bays. and have the rad standing up.

You won't really need to do any modding to fit the 240 on top as it fits perfectly and already has holes for it. I didnt even have to mod anything to fit my 360 on top just had to remove the hdd holder on top. As far as the 2nd rad. There is many spots you can fit a 120 or 200. IMO the front would be your best bet. Are you running a pump and a reservoir or a combo(pump inside res)?
m
l
Related resources
August 31, 2012 2:38:09 PM

JFerox said:
I am kinda in the same boat as you. Just got my 650D but still waiting on water cooling parts to arrive. I remember reading somewhere over on OCN that some guy put a 200mm in the front of his 650d and it made it hard for his other 240mm and 120mm radiators to work effectively due to all that hot air from the front intake, so you may have to experiment with airflow directions if you go that route. I've also seen someone mount a 240mm upright in the middle with an XSPC radiator stand, didn't look too bad.

Thank you. I will have to check some things out..... Wanna exchange pics and temps when were done?
m
l
August 31, 2012 3:13:13 PM

shakal said:
i'm running a 360 on top and for now a 240 sideways at the front held in there nicely by velcro. The problem is when i put the sidepanel on the radiator is not getting any air from the outside so i have 2 options. Cut a hole in the bottom bay to have it standing up or mod a hole in the sidepanel so that rad is getting some cool air. I think i will be just cut on one of the bays. and have the rad standing up.

You won't really need to do any modding to fit the 240 on top as it fits perfectly and already has holes for it. I didnt even have to mod anything to fit my 360 on top just had to remove the hdd holder on top. As far as the 2nd rad. There is many spots you can fit a 120 or 200. IMO the front would be your best bet. Are you running a pump and a reservoir or a combo(pump inside res)?

Maybe. Yes I am running a swiftech all in one pump/res. I was thinking about getting another res for ease fof filling and draining and a spot for my kill coil
m
l
August 31, 2012 3:17:51 PM

shakal said:

Another thing....

My pump and res combo is built onto the end of the 240 rad
m
l
!