Sign in with
Your question
Solved

TT Water 2.0 mod to gtx480

Last response: in Overclocking
August 31, 2012 1:46:04 AM

Well basically, as the title says, at some point (once I can acquire funds) I intend to mod my water 2.0 to cool my gtx 480 as well as my cpu. I have several questions/issues which I figured I could ask someone here who has done this before.

1. What fittings does the water 2.0 use? What size tubing? I could eye it or measure it semi accurately, but I'd rather have someone who already knows so I don't measure wrong and order the wrong things.

2. Is the performer series (the worst one) radiator sufficient to cool both? (Compared to stock EVGA cooler) Temps on cpu right now aren't really a good estimate because I didn't have any thermal compound on-hand to replace the pre-applied compound.

3. Does the water 2.0 use plain distilled water, or is it a mixture? I'm aware that I'd have to empty the loop and refill, but I don't want to add anything in that would be bad for the loop.

4. Is the pump sufficient to move water through the extra tubing? Or would it generally just *** everything over?

5. I would have to splice two different tubes, would the pump still work with a T type connector, or would the water just kind of sit? (T type connector so I don't have to use the "hot" tube to cool the 480.)

Noticed the majority of you hate thermaltake watercooling. Not sure why, at any rate, too late now. Don't comment on it.

I have other questions, but I can't think of what they are at the moment. I'll post them as I remember.

More about : water mod gtx480

Best solution

a c 324 K Overclocking
August 31, 2012 2:17:54 PM

I think you're trying to do something that isn't going to turn out well. Sure, people have modded these types of coolers to incorporate other components, but the pumps are terribly weak, the radiators aren't that great and for the amount of money you are looking at, you really should consider just going the route of an actual loop.

But if you are dead-set on this...have at it.
August 31, 2012 2:41:49 PM

Well the reason I wanted to mod it to work for my GPU as well is the fact that I don't want to just throw away the money I spent on it. I'd like it to have some purpose other than a watercooling paperweight.

Also, I'm unsure how well a real loop would fit in my Thor v2 case. It's a huge case, but a lot of the space is taken up by cages and what not.
Related resources
a c 206 K Overclocking
August 31, 2012 2:48:19 PM

Totally Agree! with rubix_1011

Quote:
Noticed the majority of you hate thermaltake watercooling. Not sure why, at any rate, too late now. Don't comment on it.

It's not that anyone actually hates Thermaltakes Water Cooling hardware AFAIK, it's just they're way behind in the performance territory and are now playing catch up.

Oh crap, I was not supposed to comment! ;) 

Dude you're fixing to open a big can of worms for yourself, but you can always go fishing afterwards! ;) 
a c 324 K Overclocking
August 31, 2012 2:54:39 PM

Horizons said:
Well the reason I wanted to mod it to work for my GPU as well is the fact that I don't want to just throw away the money I spent on it. I'd like it to have some purpose other than a watercooling paperweight.

Also, I'm unsure how well a real loop would fit in my Thor v2 case. It's a huge case, but a lot of the space is taken up by cages and what not.

Well, this is one reason why we preach 'planning for the future' when it comes to watercooling as these components are often easily transferable to different sockets and hardware versions usually only needing an updated adapter plate here and there.

For a CPU+GPU loop like you are intending, you are easily looking at $250-$300 for a normal loop...and this is a very conservative budget. $300-$400 would be a better estimate. To do this the cheapest way, I'd suggest an XSPC 360 kit and adding the GPU block of choice to the project.
August 31, 2012 2:55:01 PM

I see. I haven't really had any problems with them, aside from lack of instructions in the manual. Took me like 20 minutes when I first set it up to get the fan flow right. Their included fans have a really bad dead spot in the center. Which obviously dead spots are expected in the center since there are no blades, but it went way too far out.
At any rate, what would a decent REAL watercooling system for GPU/CPU run me? The GPU block I want is $100 right now, but I'm going to have to order it quite soon because they're not being made anymore. Aside from gpu block I have no other ideas what I would get.

You answered my question before I even asked it.

TETSUOOOOO

As for the "planning for the future" I bought the AIO cooler before I realized I want to buy a new GPU, and due to budget constraints I went with a 480. Which as I'm sure we all know, makes the sun feel like a ski resort.
a c 206 K Overclocking
August 31, 2012 2:56:36 PM

Horizons said:

There are a lot of us here that have learned the hard way and have an assortment of paper weights of various past bad ideas, but in an endeavor to attempt to avoid guys like you and me from making these mistakes rubix_1011 has gone to an extreme amount of work to give us this.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/277130-29-read-first-watercooling-sticky

So do yourself a favor and give it a read.
August 31, 2012 3:05:02 PM

4Ryan6 said:
There are a lot of us here that have learned the hard way and have an assortment of paper weights of various past bad ideas, but in an endeavor to attempt to avoid guys like you and me from making these mistakes rubix_1011 has gone to an extreme amount of work to give us this.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/277130-29-read-first-watercooling-sticky

So do yourself a favor and give it a read.

Yeah I've already read a lot of it. Unfortunately I may not even get to watercool my gpu unless I can order the block soon, but right now my bank account is sitting at $1.20

Well this is basically solved, but nobody really give me one overall answer so I don't know who to give best answer to.
a c 206 K Overclocking
August 31, 2012 3:19:48 PM

Give it to Rubix! Ry
August 31, 2012 7:21:13 PM

Best answer selected by Horizons.
August 31, 2012 7:22:42 PM

nevermind
!