ruffandruff

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
Hello

I am planning to buy a new system with an i3 and cant decide between h55 or the p55.

I know that h55 has support for integrated graphics present in the i3 but i think i do not need it. I am looking towards p55 coz i wanna update to i7 later.

And keep in mind that i wont be using any graphics card. I will go for i3 if its integrated gpu is better than the on board p55 gpu.

1. IS i3's integrated graphics better than any p55 on board graphics ( coz I wont be using any video card)

2. What are the features (OTHER THAN INTERNAL GPU) that h55 has compared to p55.

3. suggest me a good mother board around 110 dollars. Which ever the chipset may be that you think is good.

4. i do not need sli or cf

5. I may overclock to around 3.8 or 4 ghz.

6. IS p55 compatible with i3 chips as h55. I mean can p55 fully support the i3's

7. I am looking towards future proof.

Detailed explaination really helps me!

(Sorry for the english)
Thanks!!!

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Hello.

1. The P55 does not have integrated graphics. No "P" boards do. Also it can not make use of the IGP on the i3. Therefore you can't use it without a graphics card.

2. The P55 has more PCIe lanes which is the main difference. So if you only want to run one card then H55 is fine.

6. If fully support includes supporting the IGP on the i3's then no.

7. If you are looking for future proof then go for AMD. 1156 will be replaced and therefore will have no more CPUs coming to it. Whereas AMD's new Bulldozer CPUs (which are highly anticipated) will support the current AM3 socket. You will be much happier in the future when you can upgrade to the latest processor with having to change your motherboard, ram and CPU. Trust Me.

I have not included a board as I want you to seriously consider AMD then tell me what you reckon.

Hope that helps.

1) The integrated graphics on the i3 clarkdale cpu's is quite good. You can play civ-4 with it. On a P55 chipset you will need to add a graphics card.
2) There are minor differences, here is a link to an explanatory chart:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-clarkdale-core-i5-661,2514-6.html
3) For overclocking, look to Asus, Gigabyte, or EVGA. Any will do, depending on other features that you may want.
Do you want ATX or, will a smaller micro-ATX be better?
4) Good, it is not my favorite graphics upgrade path.
5) Plan on a oem cpu cooler. A large tower type cooler with a 120mm fan can be found for <$40.
6) P55 will run i3 chips without the integrated graphics capability. That is why the H55 or H57 chipset will be better for you.
7) There is no such thing as future proof. In three years, all current pc components will be superceeded by faster, bigger, and cheaper components.
Your current system will still be running as well as it did the first day doing today's jobs just as well. How well can you predict what your future needs will be?
If your initial i3 is a duo, like the i3-540 and you overclock it , then there is no upgrade that will be worthwhile if you only need two cores.
If you develop a need for a quad core, then an overclocked i5-760 will be as good as it gets.
The best future proof pc purchases you can make today would include monitors, cases, psu's, keyboard, and mice.

ruffandruff

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010

thanks

ruffandruff

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010

thanks