Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

HTPC Playback issue

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 18, 2010 3:26:51 PM

I just built my htpc with a gigbyte m785gm hdmi

I have windows 7 on it 2gb of ram 3.0ghz regor 250 and an older 250 gb hd.It is hooked up to my tv VIA HDMI at 720p.The videos shutters every once in a while and then catches up.Or gets jittery. I was having the same problem on my previous media set up which had an 8800gts powering the playback.I find it strange that when I hook my brothers shitty dv5000 up via the vga cable all of the videos play back perfectly. I know my graphics card both the igp 4200 and the 8600gts are way better then the card in that laptop. I have tried installing codecs tired using VLC and Windows media player. I have even updated to the latest drivers. Any hlep would be greatly appreciated.

More about : htpc playback issue

January 18, 2010 4:23:31 PM

Try rolling back to ATI's CCC 10.8. I have the MA-785GMPT mobo. Rolling back fixed a number of video playback issues for me. Kudos to rwpritchett.
m
0
l
January 18, 2010 4:55:16 PM

Thank you for that sugestion I will try it/ Any ideas if that does not work

Who is
Rwpritchett
m
0
l
Related resources
January 18, 2010 5:07:19 PM

You also probably need to adjust your CCC settings...they usually need some tweaking. Just play the video in a smaller screen and make the tweaks so you can see how things change in real time. Also, running windows 7 on 2gb of ram is not going to get the best results. I would suggest bumping it up to 4gb.
m
0
l
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
January 18, 2010 5:20:31 PM

RWpritchett is another user, probably the one who told supe how to fix it when he had a problem.

I had a similiar problem with playing media (different players though) on my Win7 HTPC, but it was fixed via an update to the players. I also had some slight trouble after that, but I think it was fixed through an automatic update, because I haven't seen it in a few weeks.

You might want to try a different player and see what happens.
m
0
l
January 18, 2010 6:07:51 PM

^+1 MadAdmiral. He has helped me out a couple of times. I am thinking of building a shrine. LOL
@Plasticjesus - what are you using as your mediaplayer where you are having the problems?
m
0
l
January 18, 2010 6:11:05 PM

belial2k said:
You also probably need to adjust your CCC settings...they usually need some tweaking. Just play the video in a smaller screen and make the tweaks so you can see how things change in real time. Also, running windows 7 on 2gb of ram is not going to get the best results. I would suggest bumping it up to 4gb.
Yea I know 2gb isnt ideal but it runs really smooth considering. If ddr2 ram was as dirt cheap as it was xmas before last I would be all over it lol. So downgrade the drivers and tweak some settings ill report back when I know. What settings should I look for in CCC. I know my tv the resolution automatically set itself to 720p Maybe Lowering it would help?
m
0
l
January 18, 2010 6:12:55 PM

Supe_ said:
^+1 MadAdmiral. He has helped me out a couple of times. I am thinking of building a shrine. LOL
@Plasticjesus - what are you using as your mediaplayer where you are having the problems?

I have tried everything from VLC to WMC and Windows media player. I have tried the klite codec pack. ITs not a constant problem it will happen randomly throughout the move were everything gets all choppy or the video gets all sluggish/jittery its hard to describe lol.
m
0
l
January 18, 2010 9:01:19 PM

Ooops, Made a mistake. I meant rollback to 9.8. Here is a link to the 64bit to make it easier. The 32 bit is there also.
http://drivers.softpedia.com/progDownload/ATI-Catalyst-...
I would also suggest following Belial2K's advice first. Play around a bit with CCC settings. I would leave the TV at 720P for now. Is your tv 1080P or 720P?

But I would also highly suggest CCC 9.8 because there are definite problems with 9.9 and on. My major problem was WMC would stall with no video playback at all after coming out of S3 sleep.
m
0
l
January 18, 2010 11:15:07 PM

Supe_ said:
Ooops, Made a mistake. I meant rollback to 9.8. Here is a link to the 64bit to make it easier. The 32 bit is there also.
http://drivers.softpedia.com/progDownload/ATI-Catalyst-...
I would also suggest following Belial2K's advice first. Play around a bit with CCC settings. I would leave the TV at 720P for now. Is your tv 1080P or 720P?

But I would also highly suggest CCC 9.8 because there are definite problems with 9.9 and on. My major problem was WMC would stall with no video playback at all after coming out of S3 sleep.
Yea its the 32 inch sony bravia KDL somthing lol. It is 720p but does 1080i. When connected to the laptop with a vga cable it was at umm 1300X768 or somthign along those lines I will check when I get home. What settings should I look for in CCC.I guess my major question is weather or not the hardware can support what im doing. I have read that it can and the specs say it can so this is all very annoying lol.
m
0
l
January 19, 2010 2:58:28 AM

Everything I have tired has failed downgrading drivers ect Playing with the ccc settings differnt codecs I Dont knwo should I jus tinstall xp and see if that fixs the issue?
m
0
l
January 20, 2010 12:49:26 AM

Ok so I figured it out finally. It was a bad hardrive. The hardrive tested fine with hdat 2 times and seatools once but it was really loud so on a gut feeling I cloned it over and now everything works perfectly. Thank you so much Supe and Mad for all your help. You guys have really made this place somwere I want to become a part of :) 
m
0
l
!