Sign in with
Your question

Need to find a new book!!

Last response: in Components
March 24, 2010 5:42:09 AM

I wasn't sure where to write this but I have had the book "PC Hacks by Jim Aspinwall since the stone age of computers and its only good for stone age computers.
I am not sure if anyone is familiar with it but I am upgrading to a current system with Windows 7 not 95 or 98 lol.
And I wanted to purchase another book like it. It was more of a reference book were you look at what you want to do; oc, bios, system setup, just everything you can think of that an enthusiast would want to do.
So I was wondering if anyone knew of a book that pertains to current computers and setups. The only book I can find is called "the book of overclocking" and I am waiting for it to show up at the library.
Anyways I would really appreciate it if you had some useful books, I am reading up on windows 7 since that is the OS I will be getting, I have always used XP.
Thanks

More about : find book

a b $ Windows 7
March 24, 2010 6:14:02 AM

Well, this is probably the wrong thread for this question, but what the heck. The latest version of PC's for Dummies may be useful, although that's probably too basic for the level of information you're after. Concerning Windows 7, I can recommend "Windows 7 Secrets" by Paul Thurrott and Rafael Rivera.

http://www.winsupersite.com/book/win7/
March 24, 2010 6:28:26 AM

I figured a book about components counts as "other" components lol.
Yeah I started with the windows 7 for dummies but sometimes there lay out is kinda lame. What I was after for OC and advanced stuff was some kind of reference book. But even regular reading on computers still work. I have never used windows 7, besides at bestbuy. Yeah I'll go check out from the library and give it a whirl.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
March 24, 2010 9:19:45 AM

Ewww....hard copy
a b $ Windows 7
March 24, 2010 9:40:20 AM

LePhuronn said:
Ewww....hard copy

Yes, some of us still read actual books... :D 

I once tried reading the Lord of the Rings on my CRT monitor, but fortunately didn't get very far. I'd have been blind by page 500.
March 24, 2010 9:59:42 AM

Don't knock hard copies. I remember at the turn of the century :)  when computers were expensive enough that few people had more than one. You'd go to upgrade a motherboard. The motherboard box would contain the motherboard, a quick guide, and the full manual on CD (saves money for the manufacturer).

The build works - no problem. It doesn't - well, the freakin' manual is on disk and you have nothing to read it with.

Another example - I work for a major defense contractor. Nearly all our technical data - including tech manuals - are stored electronically - advantages are a handful of disks replace shelves of paper. Electronic parts manuals are great; tech manuals, not so much. It's a PITA signal tracing through several electronic TM's.
a b $ Windows 7
March 24, 2010 10:46:05 AM

Herr_Koos said:
Yes, some of us still read actual books... :D 

I once tried reading the Lord of the Rings on my CRT monitor, but fortunately didn't get very far. I'd have been blind by page 500.

Personally I have trouble reading print - eyes are shot and it all blends into a solid mass of black that I can't easily make out.

But, it was only a quote from Hackers :p 
a b $ Windows 7
March 24, 2010 10:55:07 AM

Ah! OK, missed that one. I haven't seen Hackers in years...
March 24, 2010 1:04:41 PM

Well books are handy, I like everything digital, but books are the last thing I want to give up to digital, I don't know why I am stuborn, if you go and get your favorite book series and stack them nicely and have something proud to look at, but if you own the whole collection of Lord of the Rings and you have the three books on the top right of your computer it just isn't the same.
Well once they make them ebooks afordable, then maybe I will just do the switch.
It is cheaper to go get a netbook download a program that you can read books on it, and what you do is turn it sideways and looks just like one of those ebooks, I saw this trick on a how to save guide, ithought it was genius.
Its still a new technology and once they perfect it then it will get big, cause right now if i get on my computer to read a book am going to end up playing Far Cry or read about cool reviews like the HAF X. lol
!