Solnaxis

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
Hi,

I have been having some issues regarding the temperature of my cpu and rig in general. I don't remember really having an issue with temperatures getting too high in the past, it's only been becoming an issue recently.

For my qx6700 I get about 50c idle and 60-65c load. However it isn't just the cpu that is overheating... I recently got an Asus GTX 560 TI, and the temps under load reach 60-65c as well. Is this a problem with the case being too hot, and bad airflow? I just recently dusted and cleaned the entire computer out, as well as reapplied thermal paste and reseated the cpu fan. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Specs:
-Motherboard: Asus p5n32-E SLI

-Cpu: Intel qx6700 (Stock Speed); COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 cpu fan

-RAM: 2x2gb Corsair 240 pin ddr2; 2x1 Crucial Ballistix ddr2

-Psu: Thermaltake 700w

-Gfx: Asus GTX 560 TI

-Case: Lian li V1200

http://i.imgur.com/XXHZ4.jpg

Solnaxis

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

Normally I wouldn't care about the temps, if nothing went wrong, but whenever I try to run Guild wars 2, my cpu gets to 65c and gpu gets to 65c as well, within 2 mins of running the game, and I get 20 frames, even on lowest settings. There has to be something wrong, either with the cooling or the graphics card in general.

It's really not a temp problem though. The CPU temp is warmer than I would expect with an aftermarket cooler, but it's not anywhere near throttling temp, and the GPU temp is about as good as you can expect for load temps. 60-65C for a GPU is quite cool, actually.

Solnaxis

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

65c seems a bit high, but I guess it is fine because it gets really hot in my room. Do you think it could be an issue with the power supply? Is 700w a bit low for this setup?

Solnaxis

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

Ok thanks. I realized you have the same card, so regarding the low frames on Guild wars, do you have any idea what could be causing that? It seems to be only that game, as the 560 can handle skyrim/wow/sc2/metro 2033 and other games very well.

Mine is the non-Ti 560 OC, actually, but I'm honestly at a loss as to what the problem is here, as well.

Drivers would be the only thing I can think of (besides some strange compatibility issue with the game itself). It might be worth trying an older driver to see what happens (assuming that this didn't happen with older drivers, as well).

Solnaxis

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

Ok I'll try a previous driver. Thank you for all the help

Smeg45

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
That is fairly hot. My OC'd 965 hits 46 Celsius at load and my Windforce 7950 hits 45 Celsius or so in a CM Storm Trooper with an extra 120mm tricool @ medium as a top exhaust. Have you blown out all the dust? Also, your case at stock isn't really built for cooling, it only comes with two tiny 12cm fans. Personally, I'd consider a new case.

Solnaxis

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

Yes the case has been thoroughly cleaned, and I installed a higher rpm intake fan, and installed an extra 120mm exhaust fan in the rear. I will be looking to upgrade the case to a more modern one, and hopefully that will reduce the heat.

The CPU is a bit warm, like I said above, and the GPU could be a bit cooler, but you have to remember that the max temp on a 560 Ti is 99C and throttling temp on a QX6700 is 100C, so temps, while they could be better, aren't the root of this particular problem.

For what it's worth, my 560 with its current OC runs right at 60-65C in Furmark and 55-60C in games with the same cooling solution as Solnaxis's 560 Ti..