Sign in with
Your question

Why is this giving me so much trouble ??

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 12, 2010 6:23:37 AM

Let me start out by apologizing for such a long winded problem.

HTPC Specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte MA78GPM-DS2H
Graphics: Onboard ATI Radeon HD 3200
CPU: AMD Athlon 4850e
Ram: 1.5gb
Software:
Mediaportal build 1.0.2.0
ATI Catalyst Control Center 9-12

I don't know if all that above would be relevant but i figured i would list it anyways just in case.
Also note that this PC is used as a dedicated Media PC and is not used at all as a gaming machine, but we do use it for the internet ....... well we used to be able to (see below)

Problem 1 - In a nut shell ...... when ever i turn off my Samsung 40" LCD ...... i have to reboot the computer.
Background ...... when i had my CRT TV i had a Nvidia GPU in the PC (disabled the onboard ATI graphics) because the motherboard did not have onboard s-video. I also have a 20" monitor attached too where i would run these displays in dual view and i NEVER EVER had a problem ...... everything just worked.
But now i have this nice big LCD screen and the Nvidia GPU has been removed and uninstalled drivers then enabled the ATI onboard graphics so i can use the HDMI and then has come the problems. For some reason when ever we switch off the TV i can see the HDD light on the HTPC flicker for a bit and then when i turn the TV back on it does not display TV through mediaportal, i can play videos but not TV and the ONLY way to make it work again is rebooting the PC.

Problem 2 - This one may be in some way slightly related to the first problem but in a nut shell again ......... i cant run dual view anymore.
Since changing the graphics set up (as per above) running the two displays (TV & Monitor) only works until the TV is turned off, once the TV gets turned back on stuff is just all over the place, it has changed the resolution of the TV down from 1920 x 1080 to 1440 x 900 (same as monitor) and instead of maintaining the setting i selected of dual view (extended to desktop) it changes it to clone view. I even tried removing the monitor in the display options but it would still revert back to this unwanted setting, the only way i could stop this from happening was to completely dissconnect the monitor but this isn't what i want ........ i want to be able to use the monitor and the TV at the same time in dual view.

I am goin out of my mind trying to figure out whats goin on and i'm pretty darn close to snapping because i'm getting sick of having to reboot the PC every time the TV gets turned off and not being able to use the PC in dual view.

Again my apologies for such a long thread and Thank You in advance.

More about : giving trouble

a b U Graphics card
January 12, 2010 2:14:21 PM

For one, integrated Graphics is the suck, what was the model of the Nvidia card you were using?
m
l
January 12, 2010 3:06:43 PM

You didnt mention what Windows version you're using... Windows Vista/7 are a pain in the @$$ because of the Protected Media Path and Enforced EDID settings thing they added into the OS (probably to supply blu-ray stupid requirements). If you search for "KVM Windows 7 Problem" you will find a lot of ppl having similar problems when they switch Displays. Oh yeah! If youre using 7, theres a sollution (in theory) to stop Windows 7 from detecting displays removal etc:

1. Open Windows 7 registry editor by clicking Start, type regedit.
2. Right click on regedit, click on Run as Administartor.
3. Navigate to the location: (Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\TMM))
4. Click UseIViewHelper in the right pane.
5. Set the value data to “0” {zero} to disable TMM feature in Windows 7.
6. If you want to re-enable TMM feature, set the value data to “1”.
7. Click OK and reboot you computer for the changes to take effect.

Oh yeah, and the link where ive found this recipe:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7hard...

edit: Maybe THIS can help also:
http://lemon.soju.co.uk/2009/12/03/windows-7-monitor-pr...
m
l
January 12, 2010 8:25:37 PM

I'm not sure on the model for the Nvidia GPU is but it was fairly old school but at the time that didnt matter as it was only displaying onto a CRT TV so didnt care, got it for nothing from a mate.

The HTPC is running Win XP too with all the updates from microsoft.
m
l
!