Moving used HD installed with Windows to new MoBo questions

AQuebman

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Hello All,

I am looking into building my own PC but to save money until I can afford an SSD and a bgger HD, I wanted to use my current 500GB hard drive that already has Win7 installed. I don't know if this is possible but if I could get any tips or assistance with this it would be greatly appreciated.

I will say I don't have the Win7 disk as it was installed for free by a buddy of mine so I hope that won't be an issue.

Thanks,

AQuebman

Frequency44

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Unfortunately, moving a Windows installation doesn't work like this. A new system means different hardware, which requires different drivers.

It won't even boot on you new machine, you'll have to do a proper reinstall.

timrogersx

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Those who do not know should not speak. It is totally possible. I am an expert because I am an expert at getting one Symantec Ghost Image to work on vastly different hardware. This is technically speaking the same thing. So here's what you need to do: While HD is in old PC you need to follow the steps when you google "Mergeride.reg" Specifically this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314082 Don't skip any steps. Then move the drive. Yes you may have many drivers to update but the critical one, the Hard Drive Controller Chipset is what is the difference between a successful boot into windows or a Stop statement BSOD. So it's Easy.