Advice with Watercooling Options

Hi all, hope all is well!

I've recently built this system and I work heavily with After Effects, Cinema 4D and DaVinci Resolve, all these programs are very CPU/GPU intensive and I'd really like to bring out the most in them.

At the moment I believe I have a Corsair H60 installed, I get idle temps of around 44 Celsius (Overclocked I7 2600k @ 4.6GHz), and at the moment 44 degrees isn't good (readings from HW Monitor).

Now I'd like to upgrade this water cooling system to a custom high performance one. I've seen people get temps of around 20 Celsius and the guys at digital storm getting -1 Celsius at idle overclocked.

I have a CMStorm Enforcer case, it's not big at all, rather small compared to a lot of cases out there. I'd like to cool both my CPU & GPU too (my GTX 660ti is on it's way, will be overclocking).

I'd really appreciate if anyone can point me over to the appropriate components for my requirements:
- Must reach temps of under 28 degrees at idle
- Budget is under £300
- I'd like the reservoirs to be at least aesthetically pleasing, I'd love to get a cylindrical reservoir but I doubt that would fit anywhere in my case, so I reckon the best bet is to go for a 5.25" bay reservoir.
- UV Reactive
- I can install 2 rads (3x120mm at the back of the case using a swiftech radbox) & 2x120mm at the top of the case.
- High performance pump, ideally over 600 liters per hour.
- Compression fittings

I'd appreciate if anyone who can give me a list of all the items needed to achieve this. I've also added pictures, just stuck a dvd in there to give ya'll a size perspective.

Thanks!

Images can be viewed here: http://img708.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=img2012083101551.jpg
5 answers Last reply
More about advice watercooling options
  1. First stop, http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/277130-11-read-first-watercooling-sticky
    We don't do shopping lists here, but we will help you learn for yourself what you need to cool that setup at the kind of temps you want,
    the guys getting 20'c idle temps are,
    1. possibly in a much cooler climate than you, ambient temps are very important.
    2.spending a lot more than £300 on their loops
    3. have invested a lot of time getting there

The D.s. -1'c idle was most likely on LN2 cooling not water, water freezes at 0'c,
    unless of course it was one degree below ambient they achieved, which as well will cost you a serious wedge to achieve,
    check the sticky out, calculate your TDP and we'll see how to progress from there,
    remember when calculating TDP, to find out the O/c'd output of Cpu and Gpu, stock is barely an effort to cool but overclocked gear gets hot :)
    Moto
  2. Motopsychojdn said:
    First stop, http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/277130-11-read-first-watercooling-sticky
    We don't do shopping lists here, but we will help you learn for yourself what you need to cool that setup at the kind of temps you want,
    the guys getting 20'c idle temps are,
    1. possibly in a much cooler climate than you, ambient temps are very important.
    2.spending a lot more than £300 on their loops
    3. have invested a lot of time getting there

The D.s. -1'c idle was most likely on LN2 cooling not water, water freezes at 0'c,
    unless of course it was one degree below ambient they achieved, which as well will cost you a serious wedge to achieve,
    check the sticky out, calculate your TDP and we'll see how to progress from there,
    remember when calculating TDP, to find out the O/c'd output of Cpu and Gpu, stock is barely an effort to cool but overclocked gear gets hot :)
    Moto

Thanks for the reply. I'm really looking at EK kits, they seem pretty decent. As for the -1 degree thing, http://www.digitalstormonline.com/cryo-tec.asp they're getting 0 degrees from rads? How is that possible?
  3. And thats definitely not for beginners hehe :)
    Moto
  4. Nope...I thought long and hard about doing it years ago, but decided against it. Now with Ryan's project, it has me thinking about what I could do, but still probably won't go that route....thinking more of a compressor or some sort of phase... :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Water Cooling Overclocking