Non-gaming Top-end PC for Home-Office

I want to build a high end system which I intend to use at my home office to run 3D modelling (Max/Maya/Revit), audio-visual editing, and usual surfing and fun applications. I am not a gamer.

Still, as a gadget addict/enthusiast, I want to get the best out there for a justifiable budget . I'm planning to order most components from newegg/ebay (unless you can make some better recommendations.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 2 weeks
BUDGET RANGE: +/- USD 2000 / After Rebates
SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Self-satisfaction :D , 3D modelling, Photoshop, surfing the internet, watching movies)
PARTS NOT REQUIRED: ( keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers)
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: (newegg.com, ebay.com
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: UAE
PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel i7, Asus/Gigabyte MoBo, Corsair/OCZ RAM, used to use nVidia but open to suggestions, SSD for system drive
OVERCLOCKING: Maybe, never tried before!
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe
MONITOR RESOLUTION: (1680x1050, 1920x1080, 1920x1200)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: (A quiet PC, not much into BIOS manipulation, path to upgrade )

I am currently looking at the following (please help me decide the alternatives, and do let me know if some of what I'm suggesting will be just a waste of money for the sort of uses I need):

* CPU: i7-950 or i7-975 Extreme (is it worth the $400 difference?)
* MoBo: ASUS P6X58D Premimum or Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 (or UD7??)
* Memory: 12 GB of Corsair Dominator 1600 or OCZ platinum/gold
* Video: ATI (HD 5970 or 5870??) or nVidia (GTX 285 or 295 ??) 1 or 2 GB?? (most undecided yet)
* Case: I have no knowledge, but read good reviews of Corsair Obsidian 800D, Cooler Master HAF 932, Thermaltake Armor+.... please recommend something for me here, I do not want a flashy case but rather an elegant simple one with good specs.
* Power Supply: Corsair 850TX, Thermaltake or Antec equivalents?
* System HDD: Thinking of an SSD to speed boot-up and all: Intel 160GB, OCZ 120 GB?? or should I just settle for a 300GB WD @10k rpm?
* Data HDD: 2 TB WD Black
* Cooler fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212+ or Thermaltake V1 AX or something else?

Should I go for a full or mid ATX?

your views will be much appreciated guys.
3 answers Last reply
More about gaming home office
  1. CPU: It's not worth the cost for either. Stick with an i7-920.

Mobo: The Asus one is the best right now.

RAM: Corsiar is overpriced. There's a set of G.Skill PI 12 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 for $350.

PSU: 850W is overkill for what you need. I'd drop that to a 650W.

SSD: It's a good upgrade, if you want to spend $400 for it. VelociRaptors are not worth it. The new 500 GB platter drives (Samsung Spinpoint F3, Seagate 7200.12) are faster than it.

HDD: Is that the $300 one? I would go with 3 1 TB Samsung F3s for $30 less.

Cooler: Hyper 212. It's one of the best.

GPU: You don't need that powerful of a card if you're not a gamer. Either get a workstation card (nVidia's Quaddro, ATI's Fire), or stick with an HD 5850 or 5770.
  2. Thanks MadAdmiral

When you say 850W PSU is overkill, do you think that the 650 will get me going through future upgrades?
  3. As long as you're not Crossfiring, or at least not overclocking AND Crossfiring.

If you want the option to add a second card, get a 750W.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product