Sign in with
Your question

Non-gaming Top-end PC for Home-Office

Last response: in Systems
January 18, 2010 6:09:21 PM

I want to build a high end system which I intend to use at my home office to run 3D modelling (Max/Maya/Revit), audio-visual editing, and usual surfing and fun applications. I am not a gamer.

Still, as a gadget addict/enthusiast, I want to get the best out there for a justifiable budget . I'm planning to order most components from newegg/ebay (unless you can make some better recommendations.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 2 weeks
BUDGET RANGE: +/- USD 2000 / After Rebates
SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Self-satisfaction :D  , 3D modelling, Photoshop, surfing the internet, watching movies)
PARTS NOT REQUIRED: ( keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers)
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: (newegg.com, ebay.com
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: UAE
PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel i7, Asus/Gigabyte MoBo, Corsair/OCZ RAM, used to use nVidia but open to suggestions, SSD for system drive
OVERCLOCKING: Maybe, never tried before!
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe
MONITOR RESOLUTION: (1680x1050, 1920x1080, 1920x1200)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: (A quiet PC, not much into BIOS manipulation, path to upgrade )

I am currently looking at the following (please help me decide the alternatives, and do let me know if some of what I'm suggesting will be just a waste of money for the sort of uses I need):

* CPU: i7-950 or i7-975 Extreme (is it worth the $400 difference?)
* MoBo: ASUS P6X58D Premimum or Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 (or UD7??)
* Memory: 12 GB of Corsair Dominator 1600 or OCZ platinum/gold
* Video: ATI (HD 5970 or 5870??) or nVidia (GTX 285 or 295 ??) 1 or 2 GB?? (most undecided yet)
* Case: I have no knowledge, but read good reviews of Corsair Obsidian 800D, Cooler Master HAF 932, Thermaltake Armor+.... please recommend something for me here, I do not want a flashy case but rather an elegant simple one with good specs.
* Power Supply: Corsair 850TX, Thermaltake or Antec equivalents?
* System HDD: Thinking of an SSD to speed boot-up and all: Intel 160GB, OCZ 120 GB?? or should I just settle for a 300GB WD @10k rpm?
* Data HDD: 2 TB WD Black
* Cooler fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212+ or Thermaltake V1 AX or something else?

Should I go for a full or mid ATX?

your views will be much appreciated guys.
January 18, 2010 6:36:17 PM

CPU: It's not worth the cost for either. Stick with an i7-920.

Mobo: The Asus one is the best right now.

RAM: Corsiar is overpriced. There's a set of G.Skill PI 12 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 for $350.

PSU: 850W is overkill for what you need. I'd drop that to a 650W.

SSD: It's a good upgrade, if you want to spend $400 for it. VelociRaptors are not worth it. The new 500 GB platter drives (Samsung Spinpoint F3, Seagate 7200.12) are faster than it.

HDD: Is that the $300 one? I would go with 3 1 TB Samsung F3s for $30 less.

Cooler: Hyper 212. It's one of the best.

GPU: You don't need that powerful of a card if you're not a gamer. Either get a workstation card (nVidia's Quaddro, ATI's Fire), or stick with an HD 5850 or 5770.
January 18, 2010 7:07:34 PM

Thanks MadAdmiral

When you say 850W PSU is overkill, do you think that the 650 will get me going through future upgrades?
January 18, 2010 7:14:10 PM

As long as you're not Crossfiring, or at least not overclocking AND Crossfiring.

If you want the option to add a second card, get a 750W.
!