Open case vs closed case

omgzombie

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2012
for getting better should i keep the side panel open?or should i keep it closed.the side panel supports only an 80mm and one 110mm fan.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Technically, you should leave the case side on to promote correct airflow. But, if you have very poor airflow, you might have to resort to leaving it off. So, this really comes down to case airflow- here is a simple test:

Utilize temp monitoring solutions like HW Monitor, Core Temp or Real Temp. Have them write to a log file to keep track of your temps.

Leave the side of your case closed and run your PC at load using benchmarks such as 3Dmark, PCmark, Intel Burn Test, Prime95, etc. Note the peak temps during these times.

Remove the side of your case and blow a desk or house fan on the highest speed blowing air into the open case. Repeat the same tests as before. Note your temps.

If your temps remain approximately the same (1-3C variance) you have OK airflow. If your temps are significantly lower with the case side open and the large fan working, you have a case airflow issue.

omgzombie

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2012

ok i will give it a try

muhammadbinmehroze

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
Open case is definately cooler on my system, dust is the only real problem ive seen, try it both ways, i suspect you'll find open case is significantly cooler, if you used a duct and left it closed cased you might get about the same temps though.

Best thing about an open case: if your temps are better with the side off, it tells you that you either need to improve the airflow through the case or get a better case.