ATI 5850 or GTX285?

Hashio

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
I'm debating whether I should get ATI 5850 or GTX 285. I do a lot of gaming, most my gaming is mmos. (Looking forward for FFXIV :3) Now, I've been a customer for Nvida for quite sometime(i'm not a crazy. However the new ATI card looks very nice for the price/performance. The biggest concerns that I have about ATI ; drivers for the card, application to control fan speed, tempatures, and performing differently in some games compare to Nvidia?

Solution
I would definitely take a 5850 over a GTX285. For the reasons below:
1)Cost - The 5850 is less expensive
2)Performance - The 5850 outperforms the GTX285 in virtually every case
3)DX11 - 285 is only DX10 and the newer DX11 games are coming this year, why would you deprive yourself from eye candy?
4)Overclocking! - The 5850 can be overclocked to 5870 speed and beyond, check out this article. From what it sounds like the 5850 can go to 5870 speed without any voltage increases, you just crank up the clocks in the ATI CCC. http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-hd5850.html

To answer your concerns: ATI cards are more driver heavy than Nvidia. They usually release a new driver each month, the last being 9.12 (12 meaning the...
The 5850 performs slightly better than a GTX285 and (in the UK) its generally cheaper too. ATi's drivers are pretty good nowdays, I've never had a problem with them. The drivers come with catalyst control center (CCC) which allows you to monitor temps, control fan speed and overclock (aswell as other things).

5850 also uses less power and has DX11 support

I would definitely take a 5850 over a GTX285. For the reasons below:
1)Cost - The 5850 is less expensive
2)Performance - The 5850 outperforms the GTX285 in virtually every case
3)DX11 - 285 is only DX10 and the newer DX11 games are coming this year, why would you deprive yourself from eye candy?
4)Overclocking! - The 5850 can be overclocked to 5870 speed and beyond, check out this article. From what it sounds like the 5850 can go to 5870 speed without any voltage increases, you just crank up the clocks in the ATI CCC. http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-hd5850.html

To answer your concerns: ATI cards are more driver heavy than Nvidia. They usually release a new driver each month, the last being 9.12 (12 meaning the month). This doesn't mean you have to update every month, but sometimes there are compelling reasons. I usually check out the www.tweaktown.com website as they usually have an AIT driver analysis with some of the latest cards and performance increases or decreases. The ATI drivers allow you to easily overclock as well. You just unlock the overdrive tool via a button and move the slider. If I bought a 5850 instead of a 5870 I would be overclocking this thing day #1.

Another note: I see you mentions you have been an Nvidia customer for quite some time. I've seen many people in your shoes lately because ATI has their new shiny cards out and Nvidia has yet to do anything. It puts you in a hard place where you want to upgrade and you have been loyal to the green team, but the red team has all the shiny new stuff out right now.

Tweaktown 9.12 analysis page: http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/3074/ati_catalyst_9_12_windows_7_driver_analysis/index.html

Solution

wh3resmycar

Distinguished

1. ati drivers are good.
2. application to control fan speed? nvidia drivers dont have that built within the drivers, ati on the other hand does have that within ccc. (ntune sucks). you can also use rivatuner.

^ Actually I have found that the MSI afterburner software works REALLY well with my 5870. It doesn't have to be an MSI branded card to use it. It uses Rivatuner within the app and is really EASY to use. Includes voltage settings and everything.

^+1
Complete explaination... :D

TRENDING THREADS